• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor unit D2475-80

319cssb

Does anyone here have one of those units and can tell me a bit about how to run them? Like what is the button under the starter switch for? My compressor motor turns on but doesn’t produce compressor air.5016E60A-385A-4150-8F0F-AE22599404B5.jpeg3749F51D-F50E-44BD-A294-AAD106135B61.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No idea on the button, but the 2 cylinder compressor should make air until the unloader trips out at around 150 psi. Then the engine and compressor just runs until the pressure drops to say 90, at which time the unloader trips again and air is made.

319cssb

I unbolted this pressure valve
3A7EC815-01CE-44D6-8E27-72DE404E4F00.jpeg
and there is air coming out. But I can put my thumb on the opening and block the airflow while it’s running. Something is not right there.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The red circled device is the pop off valve also called the pressure relief valve. It's purpose is to vent if the unloader fails to shut off the compressor and it runs away. It should vent at probably 190 PSI. If it's venting all the time, work it loose with some WD-40 so it isn't stuck open.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the valve you unbolted is the pop off valve. once it reaches the pressure on the valve it will spill out/blow off any excess, to keep from blowing things up. If you unbolted it I would expect air to come out the hole with the compressor running.

Were you asking about the pressure relief valve or the manifold is screws into for the part name?

First things first, make sure the air filter isn't plugged up.

Then make sure it has the proper oil level.

Make sure that the drive belt is tight, and that the keys are in the pulleys so they are spinning properly.

Makre sure that the compressor motor is spinning at the proper speed. I don't know this compressor, but some have an idle down system so when the tank is at pressure the engine runs slower, and the compressor won't produce much air. I've seen them either out of adjustment from sliding around in the truck, or just plain jammed.

Make sure the air tank is holding air. Sometimes the drain valve gets left open, or the bottom of the tank is rusting out and all the air is escaping.

319cssb

The red circled device is the pop off valve also called the pressure relief valve. It's purpose is to vent if the unloader fails to shut off the compressor and it runs away. It should vent at probably 190 PSI. If it's venting all the time, work it loose with some WD-40 so it isn't stuck open.
Well my compressor isn’t building air so I took the pressure relief valve off to see what’s up. I could feel air coming out but was able to block it with my thumb while running. I think it should be able to build way more pressure

319cssb

the valve you unbolted is the pop off valve. once it reaches the pressure on the valve it will spill out/blow off any excess, to keep from blowing things up. If you unbolted it I would expect air to come out the hole with the compressor running.

Were you asking about the pressure relief valve or the manifold is screws into for the part name?

First things first, make sure the air filter isn't plugged up.

Then make sure it has the proper oil level.

Make sure that the drive belt is tight, and that the keys are in the pulleys so they are spinning properly.

Makre sure that the compressor motor is spinning at the proper speed. I don't know this compressor, but some have an idle down system so when the tank is at pressure the engine runs slower, and the compressor won't produce much air. I've seen them either out of adjustment from sliding around in the truck, or just plain jammed.

Make sure the air tank is holding air. Sometimes the drain valve gets left open, or the bottom of the tank is rusting out and all the air is escaping.
Yes to all you said .
There is no air going into the tank

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t believe I wasn’t checking for something this obvious first.
I was so embarrassed of myself. Wasn’t gonna post it… but I figured y’all wanted to know what the fix was.
That was the last item in my earlier post on the things to check first before starting to tear into it.

It happens to everyone. Just visit the HMMWV forum some time and search for all the people that can't start their truck that end up not having it in neutral and it will make you feel better. Heck, even I got caught by that once for a couple minutes.

Personally, I'd rather have a stupid mistake or oversight that doesn't cost anything to fix, and fess up to it (and hopefully help someone else out that's too embarrassed to ask questions on here), than to have hundreds of dollars in repairs for something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks