• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioner compressor-a/c compressor install...How?

scootertrs

Air conditioner compressor-a/c compressor install...How? Done extensive research but still no answer.

I have tried and tried to move around Miami in my Deuce and not end up drenched in sweat... It is friggin' hot here !!! I know that if I can get a compressor to mount on my multifuel, I can work the rest of the a/c system out. I guess what I am looking for is plug and pray mounts and a/c compressor. I can work on the condensing radiator and the evap unit... my biggest hurdle is the a/c compressor mounts.

Anybody making one? If I were to work on designing one and paying a machine shop to make one, would there be any interest from the rest of the group to share the cost? I know that I would use my deuce more if a/c was available and using a huge alternator with an even huger inverter to use a 110 volt a/c unit is not my answer.

I only have to cool a small 2 person cab (with a hard top)

thanks all

pittdog

sorry dude.... I'm old army !... Never had ac in a deuce .. Sounds nice!.... Help with any thing else !.... Pittdog ... 52-d.. 63-b .. Usa.. Ret

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think it would take a heck of an A/C setup to cool that small cab. First thing is to plug all the holes in the fire wall and floor board, and use shifter boots on all handles. Lots of hot air from the engine makes it's way in there. May have to insulate the cab also. Window and door moldings usually leak air.

I would say it's a doable mod, just have to tweak everything. Don't need it here in ohio that much.

scootertrs

Working on insulating the cab already. doing the gaiters for the trannt shift knobs, etc. door seals and window seals... ditto... thus If I can get compressed freon to an evaporator in the cab, I can cool the cab!!! Just get me a simple, reliable, effective, efficient, a/c compressor mount for the multifuel motor/../. I can do the rest

scootertrs

why not use the condensing unit mounted in front of radiator... cheaper and cleaner? I know that on heavy equipment, the only reason for mounting "hickey" condensing units is because equipment sometimes have pusher fans instead of pullers. I also don't have the room over my cab... that is where my red light goes... -:)

jesusgatos

Because anything I put in front of the radiator is going to affect the radiator's ability to cool the engine, and if I put anything in front of the radiator it's probably going to be an intercooler...

scootertrs

OK, but from what I have seen, the multi-fuel radiator has plenty of cooling for the a/c condenser and then some.. worst case scenario, should the a/c causes the engine to overheat, would be mounting the condensing coil somewhere under the bed in the back under the water tank... but my first choice would be in front of the radiator, at least for now... unless someone in the group has tried it and has found it to be too much of a cooling load for the radiator.

Last edited:

bottleworks

Well, from a compressor stand point, I went with a York. I mounted it directly above the alternator. Makes it a bit of a pain when having to adjust the belt.... Condenser is forward of radiator. There isn't as much available depth there as you may think. The clutch lever for the winch rubs the fins just slightly.

jesusgatos

Well, from a compressor stand point, I went with a York. I mounted it directly above the alternator. Makes it a bit of a pain when having to adjust the belt.... Condenser is forward of radiator. There isn't as much available depth there as you may think. The clutch lever for the winch rubs the fins just slightly.
got any pics? What did you do for belts?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, I've seen the EV (electric vehicle) guys do it this way in AZ: It takes about 2 hp to run a compressor. Mount a 2hp DC electric motor anywhere it will fit and drive the compressor with that. The EV guys don't connect the compressor directly to the traction motor (what we call the engine). Since it gets so dang hot out here, they have the DC motor/compressor on a timer so it comes on a few minutes before its time to drive somewhere, while they are still plugged in to the charger, and precool the car. Different.

For power steering they do the same thing: a separate DC motor to drive the pump. Its all modular that way.

Alex

Last edited:

scootertrs

Now that is interesting!!! If this could affordably be done, then I could mount the compressor and the condensing coil (with an electric fan) under my water tank in my deuce fire truck. then just run two freon lines to the cab evap unit... just might work! Now to do the math... how much current is necessary to run a 2 HP motor at 24 Volts... Wow... 1HP is supposed to be equal to 746 Watts? therefore, we would need 1500 watts for the 2HP motor to drive the compressor... so 1500 watts, divided by 24... YIKES!!! 62.5 amps, just for the compressor... plus another 5 to 8 for the condensing fan motor and 5 to 8 for the evaporator fan... we are looking at almost 80 amps at 24 volts for the a/c unit... Somebody tell me my math is all wrong. I was already liking this idea too much!!!

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize the thread was started regarding a compressor mount, but there is an elegant option for enjoying the ride: A roof mounted 24v AC unit. This unit is completely self contained with the compressor, evaporator and condenser built in.

Check it out here: http://www.webasto.com.au/am/graphics/PS_CC4E.pdf

I believe there is a dealer selling the units stateside. If anyone's interested, I can contact him. Price is in the neighborhood of $4k as I recall.

I trust the quality: There units have been installed on military trucks for years in Africa and Australia. No reason to believe they won't work in the USA.

Rick

scootertrs

Nice... 2 problems I see with it... I have to give up my Federal rooftop beacon (fire truck...) and the ... ?? $ 4K? Wow... Cannot go there...

JasonS

We used 1kw per HP as a good rule of thumb when calculating power drawn by a motor.

Seems to me that the most elegant setup is still a belt driven compressor and all-electric is an approach of last resort.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That commercial unit specs a current draw of 68 amps at 24 volts, pretty close to what scooterrts calculated. So I think the math is good. Its also interesting that for an idea that shouldn't work there is an off the shelf solution available. That is actually the #1 reason for the success I have enjoyed in my engineering career : "Lots of things that aren't supposed to work do anyway."
Alex

yeager1

Scootertrs,
Don't know if it's an option for you, but painting your hardtop white should make a huge difference in the Miami sun. Less heat soak means less cooling requirements. Do that and the system Parker2 posted should work, and that price looks good.