• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioner compressor-a/c compressor install...How?

scootertrs

yeager1, You are probably right. The price looks doable... now it is just a matter of insulating the cab, finiding a pulley to drive a compressor with... etc. Would be spectacular to sit in Miami traffic without a puddle forming underneath:razz:... at least not one from sweat!!! I could definitely handle a condensate puddle any day!!! Gotta love a deuce.

Srjeeper

I would think any Heavy Duty Truck Accessory Dealer could find an AC unit w/compressor to fill your needs. They mount them in cab, on cab, behind cab, just about any place. Check the truck dealers around you and see where they get their special installs done.

If nothing else, it's a starting place for what your lookin for.

tm america

how about a roof top mount system from a rv just put a power inverter to goto 120volts.they go for like 1000 new and can be readily had for 200 used

JasonS

That commercial unit specs a current draw of 68 amps at 24 volts, pretty close to what scooterrts calculated. So I think the math is good. Its also interesting that for an idea that shouldn't work there is an off the shelf solution available. That is actually the #1 reason for the success I have enjoyed in my engineering career : "Lots of things that aren't supposed to work do anyway."
Alex
Alex, no motor is 100% efficient in converting electrical power to shaft power. There are losses: friction, copper, magnetic, etc. When I worked as a power engineer, 1kW/ HP was the rule of thumb for the motor and associated wiring losses. The conversion is correct, it just doesn't account for losses. What field of engineering are you in?

strosfla

So Fla A/C

Devilman96 up in Boca has done some pretty intense research on the A/C thing. Check his post (Diablo Build): http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/4696-diablo-build-update-pics-4.html
A/C is #3 on my M54 mods. Cash is king, gotta install a few more sets of Hurricane Shutters before the cash is liquid;-)
I think he mentioned Polar Bear. Inc. here in Fort Lauderdale. Here's their link: Welcome To Polar Bear, Inc.
I bought my M54 in Lubbock, Tx and drove it home (1000 +miles), West Texas just as hot as it is here. Finally figured I needed to plug all the firewall and floorboard openings (Huge help). Then did the windshield prop thing, worked pretty good. But once I read Devilman's post- A/C made it on the must do list.
At least give Polar Bear a call, they seemed pretty confident I could get a efficient set up under $1000 (doing the install myself).
Good luck - right now taking advantage of my rag top:-D
Keep me posted

jesusgatos

If you guys are looking for a self-contained electrical AC system (like a roof-top RV setup), take a look at the 24V units that have become popular with the truckers over the last few years (mostly because of the anti-idling laws is what I've heard). They're supposed to be a lot better than the 12/110-volt RV-type AC units. I decided to use an engine-driven system for a lot of reasons, which might not matter to other people because the applications are pretty different (motorhome vs. truck).