• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioner

cjd

I finally got the 2008 1123 home. It came with the air conditioner condenser assembly loose in the back, and some kind of roof mounted evap and blower assembly just laying between the seats. I have to assume all this was once mounted to a hard top, but I cannot visualize how. Does anyone have a picture or link showing how this system was installed? I am also interested in any ways it has been adapted by you guys after being demilitarized.

John27cb1095-cfa4-4168-8ce9-a9f99fd244c9.jpg847c3611-ed9b-49a1-b68a-81a1689688c6.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
evaporator unit bolted to the rear wall on the inside, so those long tubes blew into the driver's area.
Condenser bolted on the outside of the back wall, or possibly on the roof.

cjd

Thanks, Coug. So, do most owners install the units on a hard top, or do they scrap it in favor of a dash unit?

Mogman, I have been googling it for 6 months. All the results come up for the dash AC unit. I have had no luck with any information the rear mounted units. if you know of a link or 2 I'd appreciate them.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Coug. So, do most owners install the units on a hard top, or do they scrap it in favor of a dash unit?

Mogman, I have been googling it for 6 months. All the results come up for the dash AC unit. I have had no luck with any information the rear mounted units. if you know of a link or 2 I'd appreciate them.
I just googled "HMMWV AC" and went to "images" and there are tons of pictures like these
e12266077985d2daba1b77a74880ad98.jpg
582097_6002_162_0001.jpg
532984186_12999b637b_o.jpg
20210514_133345crop.jpg
c553a9d0c7c4f25b637ebf1b4dd2f3a5.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have a soft top. I added a solid piece of metal to mount the evaporator in the cab, then purchased a fender mount condenser instead of the bulky external unit because I've changed my configuration a few times and actually use my rig as a truck, not a showpiece.

my thread on that

cjd

Very interesting thread, Coug. All I can say is Daaannnnggg...it's a lot more complicated than I was expecting! So, from what I gather, the most common configuration is to mount the condenser with fan assembly inside one of the rear fenders, which requires special brackets and cutouts for airflow. Then the evaporator is however you can mount it, although it usually blocks your rear window.

I will have to think about this for a while.

Mog...those are all different than my system. It does tell me there are a ton of different installations, almost like AC on these vehicles was a custom deal.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting thread, Coug. All I can say is Daaannnnggg...it's a lot more complicated than I was expecting! So, from what I gather, the most common configuration is to mount the condenser with fan assembly inside one of the rear fenders, which requires special brackets and cutouts for airflow. Then the evaporator is however you can mount it, although it usually blocks your rear window.

I will have to think about this for a while.

Mog...those are all different than my system. It does tell me there are a ton of different installations, almost like AC on these vehicles was a custom deal.
The fender condenser 100% different, you cannot mount your condenser in the fender with "special brackets"

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to be completely clear:
It is a different condenser for the fender mount configuration, and they are different for each side as well. The one with the Red Dot unit is too big.

Depending on how you have your truck set up, there isn't so much a right and wrong as there is a "this is how it's been done before" and how it hasn't been done before. As long as there is fresh air able to move past it, and it's protected from damage, then you should be good.

As for the evaporator, I've heard of people lying them down on their back, or putting them flat along the roof, instead of vertical on the back wall. Only real issue with those methods is the water that condenses doesn't have the drains anymore, so you can have moisture issues.

cjd

Thank you both for the info. AC was a priority when I was bidding, since I am in Texas, but I am starting to understand that the military AC is going to be more trouble than starting from scratch. I've got mills, lathes, and welders to make any brackets...but deciding how to orient everything will be the trick. I will have to think about it for a while until an idea becomes clear.

Also, there is a lot of reference to "Red Dot". Is that the company that designed the military AC version?

Action

Thank you both for the info. AC was a priority when I was bidding, since I am in Texas, but I am starting to understand that the military AC is going to be more trouble than starting from scratch. I've got mills, lathes, and welders to make any brackets...but deciding how to orient everything will be the trick. I will have to think about it for a while until an idea becomes clear.

Also, there is a lot of reference to "Red Dot". Is that the company that designed the military AC version?
You got a truck with aftermarket a/c. The OEM stuff takes up very little space, none in the bed.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes, Red Dot is a Seattle based company that manufactures add on aircon units for the commercial/industrial sector.

cjd

Figures...good engine or good AC, LOL.

Thank you all for the info. I'll study and think for for a while on the best way to install this mess...I'll post the result when I'm done.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figures...good engine or good AC, LOL.

Thank you all for the info. I'll study and think for for a while on the best way to install this mess...I'll post the result when I'm done.
we are probably the first company to install fender condensers and interface the red dot evaporator on these AC equipped trucks. You don’t have any other options unless you just just go with some other aftermarket system, and AFAIC, that would be a mistake for 2 reasons, money and nothing else has the BTU rating this Red Dot unit has.

Caactus

we are probably the first company to install fender condensers and interface the red dot evaporator on these AC equipped trucks. You don’t have any other options unless you just just go with some other aftermarket system, and AFAIC, that would be a mistake for 2 reasons, money and nothing else has the BTU rating this Red Dot unit has.
How would you compare the fender mounted units with full red dot system? My 1165 is.. adequate… but barely able to keep out the Phoenix summer heat.

Crapgame

How would you compare the fender mounted units with full red dot system? My 1165 is.. adequate… but barely able to keep out the Phoenix summer heat.
I thought about trying to figure out a way to mount that style evaporator on the ceiling between the front seats.

cjd

I'd like to keep the red dot it came with if I can. I have a soft top on order. I may fabricate a bracket that puts the fans up high at the roof level, and another (or same bracket with bolts through the top) to mount the evap. That would still leave room under the AC to haul plywood and such. Once I get the top on I will start coming up with ideas. I think I will save the fender condenser as a last resort, if I can't figure anything out for the red dot.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to keep the red dot it came with if I can. I have a soft top on order. I may fabricate a bracket that puts the fans up high at the roof level, and another (or same bracket with bolts through the top) to mount the evap. That would still leave room under the AC to haul plywood and such. Once I get the top on I will start coming up with ideas. I think I will save the fender condenser as a last resort, if I can't figure anything out for the red dot.
The red Dot condenser is massive and is heavy as hell, as is the evaporator…they can’t be installed Willy nilly safely for the occupants safety in case of collision. I do one of these AC systems about once a week, I’ve installed them every which way, but safety is paramount for the occupants, especially when 90% of my customers state they will have children in car seats in the truck. If you don’t physically have the truck yet, you will see what I’m talking about once it arrives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks