• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioning for a m1083

coachgeo

But, your house is way better insulated and the hvac is always on maintaining temperature.

Your truck will be 150 degrees and in the sun. No way as well insulated. And, when you hop in, you want it cool inside within a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMHO one of the keys beside insulating to reduce the heat in the solar oven we call a cab.. is getting the heat OUT when the truck is not in us as well when in use. When not in use; maybe via solar powered vents high on back wall or roof and some others much lower and keep pulling air thru it, to keep temps lower so on startup you don't need such a humongous AC system to overcome the oven temps instantly. When driving... some dance of venting out the hot air by roof while conditioning the air surrounding passengers, may also lower the AC output needs.

Have wondered if you could reverse the defroster fan, or added ducting and fans for the purpose, and use it to pull heated air next to windshield out where the solar oven effect of glass is doing its thing the most. The metal you can insulate, not so much can do that with glass.

PS- solar panels, or decking of a storage rack.. etc. on cab roof ... also shades the roof reducing big portion of solar oven effect.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put one of those in my 1079 where the factory "ECU" (environmental control unit) would go. I have 1600w of solar on my roof and a 412 AH 24v lihium bank to run it. Haven't really put it to the test yet but it blows cold air!

Incidentally you can get the exact same unit from AliExpress for half the price. Just slower shipping from China. Mine was like $400.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Third From Texas

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've kind of waiting for someone else to ask so I didn't have to...

What's the hatch from? I like the way that turned out.
First generation crew protection cab from the HIMARS rocket system. They all went to auction several years back when the trucks received LTAS cabs to be fully protected against IED's etc.

I had to buy a whole cab to get the hatch. Also a JOB to get it off. They glued the hell out of it. It's all ballistic aluminum so it doesn't weigh much.

Sadly they are quite rare since Lockheed only produced maybe 100-150 HIMARS in the mid 2000's with these cabs before the LTAS cab replaced it. The LTAS hatch definitely wouldn't work as it weighs in excess of 1k lbs.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
First generation crew protection cab from the HIMARS rocket system. They all went to auction several years back when the trucks received LTAS cabs to be fully protected against IED's etc.

I had to buy a whole cab to get the hatch. Also a Job to get it off. They glued the hell out of it. It's all ballistic aluminum so it doesn't weigh much.

Sadly they are quite rare since Lockheed only produced maybe 100-150 HIMARS in the early 2000's with these cabs before the LTAS cab replaced it. The LTAS hatch definitely wouldn't work as it weighs in excess of 1k lbs.
Story of my life.... every time I find something I kind of want, it turns out to be made from unobtainium. First world problem, I know.

If anyone stumbles across one of these hatches, let me know.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Story of my life.... every time I find something I kind of want, it turns out to be made from unobtainium. First world problem, I know.

If anyone stumbles across one of these hatches, let me know.
I was thinking you could call the contractor that built the crew protection cabs for Lockheed but it looks like they went under last March. :confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks