• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air connection

prattcobra

The front emergency or red glandhand has a one way ceck valve in it so you shouldn't be able to get any air out of it, only into it.

The rear red gladhand will supply air once you have connected another gladhand to it and turned the ball valve 90deg.

The blue or service gladhand should only supply air when the brake pedal is depressed.

What 5 ton do you have?

I have a M813AI

jaxsof

I have an old M35 manual that shows a fitting up under the passengers side dash intended for a hose to air tires. However, upon inspection of my 813, it is not equiped. Would have been nice, though

jaxsof

Just correcting myself. There is an air port for tire inflation on mine, it is on the drivers side, on the firewall near the left side cowl. Now I just have to put a regulator and a quick-connect on it and away we go.

jaxsof

There was a hose issued in the toolkit that screw onto the fitting, and the valve is right there. I am going to put a regulator and a quick connect on mine, so i dont have to worry about over inflation

M813A1

Yes there is a Hose hook-up under the dash for a screw-on hose if you use the you need to attach a air chuck to it !! The gladhands on my M813A1 are Left rear ( YELLOW ) is the service so when the valve is open and you apply your brakes the air comes out . The Right Rear (RED) is your air supply and when the valve is open you will have constant air supply. The same is for the Front Glad Hands only that the glad hand position is reversed up front RED on left side and YELLOW on right side

fasttruck

Don't forget to read the instructions in the TMs for any trailers you use: to hook the air lines up to the back of the truck for a drawbar trailer wheither they are color coded or not it is necessary to cross them over: the air line on the right side of the trailer hooks up to the left side of the truck and if the trailer has two lines they both cross over to the oposite side from one unit to the other. Then open one or both air lines to operate the brakes. When uncoupling close the valves to keep the air in the power unit to operate its brakes. Most trucks that do not build airf pressure fail to do so because a valve has been left open someplace. semi tractors have additional air lines behind the cab for use with a semi trailer:
M 52, M 818 etc and they also cross over between the tractor and the semi trailer.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
They are blue and yellow in the Military to help confuse him lol. Yellow is mostly on all older MV's but I have 3 that are blue service side. So you cant say Yellow only is Service side. Most have a little tag thats painted over that says service and emergency.

I wanted to help beat the dead horse , please down load, buy, borrow, acquire and read all the -10 and -20 manual you can get for the 5 ton and dont be "that guy" that has a accident in the Army Truck. Were all worried for safety of us and others and the safety of the hobby to law makers , very easy to end it all for us.
You on the right forum , asking the right guys so you should be good, read read read , Jay

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
I am replacing the old junk gladhands on my truck. Right rear side has the red emergency gladhand, rather rusty. On the left rear side, the line coming out of the chassis has been plugged, nothing left there.

Please tell me, which size and thread speed does the gladhand has, and the other line couplings? What is coming out is just a bit smaller and different speed from what I have on my new European Gladhands.

steelandcanvas

I am replacing the old junk gladhands on my truck. Right rear side has the red emergency gladhand, rather rusty. On the left rear side, the line coming out of the chassis has been plugged, nothing left there.

Please tell me, which size and thread speed does the gladhand has, and the other line couplings? What is coming out is just a bit smaller and different speed from what I have on my new European Gladhands.

I fairly sure that would be 1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread)