• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer options.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm rethinking my air system on my my M35A3 4x4 project and just got the old Haldex DRYest back from puttiing a new one on the 929. I could rebuild it......or buy a new one, maybe less capacity.

I want to add some reserve for using air tools, so need an ASME tank. There is brake assist, trailer brakes, steering assist, none of which should be large air uses.

What are the best deals going for dryers right now or should I rebuild the Haldex DRYest?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm rethinking my air system on my my M35A3 4x4 project and just got the old Haldex DRYest back from puttiing a new one on the 929. I could rebuild it......or buy a new one, maybe less capacity.

I want to add some reserve for using air tools, so need an ASME tank. There is brake assist, trailer brakes, steering assist, none of which should be large air uses.

What are the best deals going for dryers right now or should I rebuild the Haldex DRYest?
Toby,

I know it is an antique from the 80's but I have a friend with an Astro95 with air assist steering. Down the Road and Around the Corner - not much air required at all... Then you try to jack that same truck backward into a tight dock and the air steering is a major drain! I would definitely add a tank or two under the truck just for the air assist steering. Then add whatever else you need for air tools.

My "dream plan" is to bypass the air powered tools. Only because the 3/4 inch impact consumes more air than my truck compressor can make. A 1" impact is what I should be using but it uses even more air. I have hydraulics on my truck - so I am on a quest for a hydraulic hose reel and a wrench to attach to it. Not hard core looking, but it will happen in the not too distant future. Might be worth considering the same for your truck if you have a PTO that could drive the pump...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Toby,

I know it is an antique from the 80's but I have a friend with an Astro95 with air assist steering. Down the Road and Around the Corner - not much air required at all... Then you try to jack that same truck backward into a tight dock and the air steering is a major drain! I would definitely add a tank or two under the truck just for the air assist steering. Then add whatever else you need for air tools.

My "dream plan" is to bypass the air powered tools. Only because the 3/4 inch impact consumes more air than my truck compressor can make. A 1" impact is what I should be using but it uses even more air. I have hydraulics on my truck - so I am on a quest for a hydraulic hose reel and a wrench to attach to it. Not hard core looking, but it will happen in the not too distant future. Might be worth considering the same for your truck if you have a PTO that could drive the pump...
They have a 1 inch battery powered Milwaukee gun in D ring type and pistol grip

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They have a 1 inch battery powered Milwaukee gun in D ring type and pistol grip
So... Will one battery hammer off one tire on your truck and have the juice to put it back on comfortably? Going to watch the video now...

Battery power would save half an hour dragging out air hose or hydraulic hose and assorted support equipment. I spotted a used Slave Plug powered wrench, but it was about five bills and who knows what condition it is/was in.

JD4044M

I am going to buy a 12VDC to 120VAC Converter big enough to run my 120 VAC Milwaukie Impact Driver. Not sure what the load is but it is not that high. Air Tools eat up a lot of air. The Load is 7 amps so a 1200-1500 watt converter would be enough to run one. Doing it this way you hook it to one of your 12VDC Batteries to work the converter. Be nice for other tools including charging up your Battery tools and lights.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mullaney, I do have hydraulics but not the tools...nor do I have the air tools. Probably air for big tires will be a main use.

So you think we need more air storage for the power assist? Good point.

Yea, have a pressure compensated pump.

Thanks Wes....have you tried one ? ....not real Haldex but they look nice.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mullaney, I do have hydraulics but not the tools...nor do I have the air tools. Probably air for big tires will be a main use.

So you think we need more air storage for the power assist? Good point.

Yea, have a pressure compensated pump.

Thanks Wes....have you tried one ? ....not real Haldex but they look nice.
They are haldex units. They are the same surplus mrap units that flooded the market a few years back. Ive got a few on different trucks

V8srfun

Running pneumatic impact large enough to pull lug nuts on these trucks would be less than ideal without using a shop air compressor. The truck compressor will not keep up and adding tank capacity will help but not as much as you would like. If you are dead set on using the truck compressor I would suggest not making the tank capacity to large or you will be waiting a loonnngggg time for the tanks to get filled back to operating pressure again. It can be done but I believe you will not be satisfied with the end result. If you are not opposed to other options I would suggest a manual torque multiplier like the one I bought on amazon for less than $80 or a Milwaukee impact like shown above. I own other Milwaukee tools and love them.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got all excited - but then realized that this is an A3 thread...that pressure compensated pump won't fit a Spicer A2 tranny, I assume.....

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got all excited - but then realized that this is an A3 thread...that pressure compensated pump won't fit a Spicer A2 tranny, I assume.....
The pto would be different. It took a flange kit too. The pto is same as an m925 or 929 but turns a little slower on the Allison 1545/Cat..

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well jeepsinker, I have to admit not having looked up the compressor specs on the Cat 3116 but It doesn't look too large.

If I get to the rebuild of the front springs for a plow it would make sense to increase the steering and brakes reserve capacity, for turning and stopping a lot. That could be a main tank or each.

Jeepsinker

Well jeepsinker, I have to admit not having looked up the compressor specs on the Cat 3116 but It doesn't look too large.

If I get to the rebuild of the front springs for a plow it would make sense to increase the steering and brakes reserve capacity, for turning and stopping a lot. That could be a main tank or each.
You'll probably find that your compressor is around 7-10 cfm. There will be a higher output compressor available for your engine that is direct bolt on for a scenario where your engine is used in a road tractor that needs a lot more air.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With larger tanks, it will take longer to air up. What happens with low air ....less brake assist....less help in steering...less pressure to fill tire or ?? Unlike the air on the 5 ton, that releases brakes at around 60, the deuce would still have some brakes while the system fills.

How about a cascade system, where brakes and steering reach 60 before opening an assessory tank, that could be entirely shut off too?

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those in the video are designed for commercial tire use.

I use a dewalt 20v 1/2" gun. It does everything I need it to
I know this thread isn't quite current, but I was learning a good bit from it. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Dewalt 20v impact!
I have the same Dewalt impact and figured with the max setting, it should do the job to remove the lug nuts. With a torque limiting extension, I figured it should work to get the lug nuts back on to the correct torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks