• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air dryer purge troubles

ericp351

Hi all. Have a small, but frustrating problem. The purge plate on my air dryer will stick open. Truck is A2 with ABS and HALDEX N50011F air dryer. I pulled the snap rings and bottom cover off and O rings are ok and clean. Valve will blow/ pulse , especially on narrow road or traffic. A quick bump with a nut driver end and I am back on my way. Does This happen to anybody else, or "special" spray lube or "Quick-Fix"? Thanks! Eric P.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is no fix. It's a stupid design. I've fixed and rebuilt a few. Cleaned and everything and it would still stick every so often.

ericp351

There is no fix. It's a stupid design. I've fixed and rebuilt a few. Cleaned and everything and it would still stick every so often.
Sounds like I am in good company. Can I use a hunk of inner tube and a hose clamp to limp it home when required on the bottom blow down nipple? I just wonder how many times I can bump the Bakelite dick before she shatters. Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like I am in good company. Can I use a hunk of inner tube and a hose clamp to limp it home when required on the bottom blow down nipple? I just wonder how many times I can bump the Bakelite dick before she shatters. Thanks!
Just buy the appropriate jic fitting that will let you connect the input air dryer line to the output line to the wet tank. Hoses should be female JIC. One is a #8 other is #6 typically. Discharge line is usually smaller. So you need a male #6 to #8 jic union. Cost about $4.

Every 5 ton should have one in case of dryer failure or freeze up

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or you can get the purge valve to hold pressure then simply open your drain port on your wet tank so it wont build enough pressure on the pressure protection side to the governor to purge the dryer.
Primary and secondary will charge air and hold air fine.

This simply makes the compressor run full time with no purge but the drain port being open will prevent over pressure

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a truck that was doing it and thought about the complete rebuild kit. Then found members selling NOS complete air driers just about as cheap as the kit and almost faster to replace whole unit than rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks