• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer

llong66

I am trying to decide between an airless paint sprayer and using my compressor to paint my M1008 soon. I know I need some type of air dryer/filter to use the compressor but I am unsure what/where to look. I checked harbor freight and they have a inline dryer/filter for $7.99 that uses a desiccant cartridge. It says it turns from blue to pink so I am sure its just silica gel. This option seems to good to be true, and I cant believe that it would completly filter the moisture outa the air. For those who used their compressor, what did you use for moisture removal? Any hints as to where/what to look for?
Thanks!

cornrichard

I have done a lot of paint with no dryer. If I was doing a gloss show paint job I would get a dryer. For flat paint I just blow down the compressor and go.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished painting my S-280 shelter, and what I used to keep moisture out of my lines was a cheap harbor freight 5 gallon air tank, used for filling tires etc. I plumbed this into my air system right after the compressor and before my mounted airlines, the day I painted the humidity not to bad of a problem but I did end up dumping almost a gallon of water out of this air tank when I was done. I did not see any sign what so ever of any water in the lines while I was painting, it proved to be a very good cheap way to keep water out of the lines and out of my spray gun! I think I paid 20 bucks for the tank!
KK

llong66

Thanks for the replys guys! I think after doing some more reading I am going to go with the airless sprayer. I plan on using rapco paint and I hope this combination works out well.

randini

The humidity here in utah is less that 10%. I feel bad for thr rest of you....LOL. The best way to remove moisture from the air is refrigeration. There is an old auto body trick to plumb in a section of copper tube in the supply line. Put this section in a big garbage can, full of water and Ice. It will cool the air supply and cause the moisture to drop out of the air.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to re-start this thread. I'm am planning my first semi-gloss paint job and I am going with compressed air. I had issues before with moisture when painted CARC so I want to go with a dryer. Harbor Freight has everything from $7.99 to $399.00. I'm sure the little in-line will be insufficient and I'm not sure I need the $399.00 solution either. Here's going to be my set-up...
Compressor is in the garage.
Truck is going to be painted 100 feet from the compressor.
Airhose will be run from compressor, across the yard, to the truck.

I've heard you can just put another pressure tank between the compressor and the paint gun and achieve the same results. I have access to a couple free 50 gallon compressor tanks.

All recommendations and set-up suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

The cheapest set up I have done is to run a 50 foot air hose to a second tank then run a hose to your gun, with one of those small in line water traps on there.

That said, it all depends on how humid the air is and whether you drain your primary tank regular......the main way you get water in the line is if you have a small air compressor and run the snot out of it, the air is hot and collects moisture, then sends that down the line, as it is sprayed through the gun it cools and lets out the water....

I have painted many cars with the above set up, including 2 of my show cars that have won awards.......it will work, also a nice cheap hvlp gun will help not as much air needed to spray so less chance of water down the line. The reason for the second tank is to let the air cool off, that will release the water and it will "trap" it in the second tank.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eagle,

Thanks for the idea. When I painted my last truck, I ran 100 feet of hose from the compressor, across the yard, to the truck. I did have some blistering issues occassionally. I have an 80 gallon Ingersol compressor and I bleed it regularly.

I will get one of those tanks I have laying around, put it on a roll around cart so I can just move it where I want, and set it between the compressor and the gun. I'll also get one of those cheap in-line deciscant dryers just at the gun. I have a H.F. HVLP gun already and it shoots great.

Lild

Don't expect the hf to last long. The inline filter your getting will work. I used them a few times & was impressed on how well it worked. The longer the hose the better. Most folks don't realize that the compressed air is hot when the compressor comes on, & then cools, build condensation in the lines as well as the tank. Thus getting water in the lines. U can drisn the tank as you spray.
If u had plumbed your tank with a pvc set up, you could of used an in line water trap.

& try switching up to a 3/8 hose setup & fittings, the more air your guns has the better it will spray the better the paint will look.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm bringing this thread back up again. I am still trying to figure out how dry the air needs to be to paint my trucks. I've looked at the Harbor Freight $399.00 air dryer but have read several bad reviews. A comperable unit from Ingersol rand is $800.00. I have a spare tank or two I can put in-line but i'm nervous it may not be dry enough then I end up with a lot of re-work and a crappy paint job. Any other suggestions or support on this topic is appreciated.