• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air force ford f 800

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There probably isn't a "M" number for something like that. The US military buys thousands upon thousands of vehicles for every use imaginable. From the lowly Dodge Caravan that recruiters and office workers use, up to half ton 2wd pickups and then giant tractors. Only the "front line", specifically designed tactical stuff got an M-series number assigned.

teletech

Decent for what, for a non all-wheel drive vocational truck? I like mine just fine. They are much easier to work on and more modern than the military stuff but might not take as much physical abuse.
1992 had the intercooler and was one of the last trucks before Ford went with the Cummins motors. The 7.8 was developed in a joint venture between Ford and New Holland as a (farm) tractor motor that turned out so well they put it in road trucks. It's a little heavy for the power it makes and it's not quite as efficient as some other choices but you could do much worse in a diesel rig. It uses a Bosch P-pump, so more power is right there. You don't specify which Allison though. Ford shipped a lot of AT-equipped trucks, it's reliable but robs lots of speed and power. Behind the 7.8 they sometimes used the MT series, an OK transmission but with a lockup converter you get a lot more of your power to the road. The Rockwell axles are fine for the most part but you don't specify ratio or which differential, the 2-speed axles seem maintenance-heavy.

You will likely get more support on a civvy forum for that truck, like ford-trucks.com under the MDT/heavy truck forums.

Ok so is a 1992 ford f800 tractor a descent rig? 7.8 diesel 72000 miles allison automatic, rockwell rear axel . 2.5 inch hitch

sandcobra164

Before the base motorpool upgraded to International trucks, we had some of the F800's rolling around. Mid 90's models powered by Cummins 8.3's. When they went to auction, they all went for over 5K. I wanted to get one to transplant an 8.3 into a deuce but no cheese left on the cracker for the conversion at that price. They were Government owned but as pointed out, no M Series designation as they were simply commercially available vehicles that were used for a garrison purpose. In earlier times, they would have at least a Military style data plate similar to the ones attached to the dash on an M series vehicle. Everything I see now for the most part forego that requirement as well.

Milesperhour

Ok so the truck in question is a 1992 f800 with a 7.8 , air brakes and a 643 allison automatic, rear gears are 4.10
Bud wheels and low pro tires.
The radiator was stolen as well as the intercooler . It starts and runs ,has a bosh p pump on it. 72,000 miles $3500
I need somthing to run a semi trailer back and forth on short runs.
What about it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you offering it for sale for $3500, or just asking what we think of your purchase for that price?

quickfarms

How heavy of a trailer are you pulling?

What hp spec is the engine?

What size are the tires?

The engines are good, but not power houses.

The trans is a good Allison, it has the lock up torque converter.

I have two navy trucks that are based on the F series chassis

If you have low pro 22.5's you should be turning about 2,100 at 58 mph. The governor is set at 2,800 and these engines like 2,500. One issue is that you can't get a big enough radiator in the F series to turn up the fuel that much

teletech

Assuming it's in good shape, that's a great truck as a good price. I'd be on it in a hot minute. The 7.8 and MT643 with 4.1 is a winning combination on the freeway for sure, as long as you don't need more than 240HP. 72K is nothing for that motor.
If there is one thing that might give up on a truck that age, it's the radiator, so they might have done you a favor. The intercooler, not so much. The truck will run pretty OK without it while you shop around for one. Should be able to easily find both for under a grand.

The thing I did hear from the guys who used them as a freeway truck is the cab is short enough that if you have the air-ride seat and are tall it can be a problem, the "smurf cab" and also that the lack of full air-suspension means a REALLY harsh ride when bobtailing. I love the fact so many regular F-truck parts bolt right on.

I have both a f700 and f800 and it's really impressive how much bigger everything is on the 800, leaf springs, steering box, its like a deuce VS 5-ton.

Ok so the truck in question is a 1992 f800 with a 7.8 , air brakes and a 643 allison automatic, rear gears are 4.10
Bud wheels and low pro tires.
The radiator was stolen as well as the intercooler . It starts and runs ,has a bosh p pump on it. 72,000 miles $3500
I need somthing to run a semi trailer back and forth on short runs.
What about it?

teletech

Got it Bought , anyone have some pictures of what I need to replace on the radiator and intercooler?
Here are some pics of a F800, 7.8 non-intercooled, I picked up a couple weeks back. They show the radiator, top tank, etc. pretty well and give you an idea of the routing w/o intercooler.
I have an intercooled truck (but not here), it's very similar but they change the fan clutch, etc to allow the radiator to sit closer to the engine so the intercooler can sit up front.
20170830126.jpg20170830127.jpg20170830128.jpg20170830129.jpg20170830130.jpg
I'll try to get pics of the other truck but it might be next week before that happens.
Let us know what kind of mileage you get.
Congratulations and good luck!

teletech

Oh, ouch. Just noticed yours is an alligator hood, while you are checking yards for the parts you need, I'd suggest treating yourself to a nice 1-peice fiberglass front end.
Seems like you can use the parts off a 6.6, you might find one somebody is selling cheap...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks