• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Force Yellow stencil color?

Greensteel37

I'm nearly ready to apply the stenciled markings to my '53. It's Strata Blue and I am looking for the correct color for the markings. Anyone have an idea what I can use?

Here she is a week ago getting the bed installed:

20140323_161141-M.jpg

nattieleather

Well I looked at Rapco and Army Jeep Parts for the "correct" paint but they don't seem to list the Yellow. I also don't know if it is the same yellow as the USMC uses for their markings. But I know that folks that have marked USMC vehicles have used Clark Tractor yellow, School Bus Yellow, and Traffic Line Yellow.

The color code is FS 33538. I got that from a quick web search from this web page http://alternatewars.com/BBOW/Colors/USAF_Support_Colors.htm

So, maybe you can have a paint shop mix up the color from the FS code or pick a yellow that close to that off the shelf and go with that. Truck is looking good.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have the FSS number, go to Home Depot and have them mix some up for you. They first have to select (on their paint mixing computer) Competitive paints, then scroll down to FSS (Federal Supply Service), select it and then put the number in the lower of the two boxes. Next is selecting the quantity you want mixed. Lowes or other paint store should be able to do the same thing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check the paint code sticky in the paint and bodywork forum?

Post #7

Greensteel37

I didn't think of a sticky in the paint forum... I've used rapco Strata Blue (Gillespie), will the paint from Home Despot behave with that paint? Thanks everyone!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're killin me, after I spent all that time putting it together.

:)

Just kidding.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's because most people would use the same vendor for all their paints. In this case you used one and now need the code for the same color and the other color.

vtdeucedriver

I doubt the USAF had marine corps yellow in the cabinet. Gotta think like a Zoomie. I believe most USAF ground equipment in the 50s was a Federal Yellow, I would try that :-D

Greensteel37

I think the trouble I am having is that I can't verify that some of these other paints (like Baer from HD) will not ruin my Rapco paint job. I feel like Krylon will be ok but the only color they have which seems close is John Deer Yellow. There are just not enough Strata Blue trucks around to find someone who knows.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the trouble I am having is that I can't verify that some of these other paints (like Baer from HD) will not ruin my Rapco paint job. I feel like Krylon will be ok but the only color they have which seems close is John Deer Yellow. There are just not enough Strata Blue trucks around to find someone who knows.
Get a sample and paint a piece of scrap metal with both.

nattieleather

If you let the dry for a month or so before applying a another paint on top it should be fine. The only time I've had a problem is when the Gillespie hadn't cured and I've gone to stencil and it's lifted the paint up. Like paint on Tuesday stencil Tuesday evening kind of thing. Don't use Rust-Oleum. Something it the paint will pull the Gillespie right off. Porkysplace had a good idea paint some scrap metal with the Gillespie and let it cure then paint the paint of your choice over it to see what happens.

vtdeucedriver

You got to let Gillespie sit and cure before stenciling. I have stenciled 7 trucks and various trailers now and have always used Rustolium for my markings. NEVER had a issue!!!
Like I said in the above post. Match the yellow on some air force equipment of the time and get close. Im pretty sure it was FEDERAL Yellow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks