• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air getting into fuel lines

hawkeyepoole

After I replaced the pump, I pulled the line apart under the IP and turned in the pump. The amount of fuel that the new pump put out was quite impressive. I don't run straight emo by the way. I dilute it with enough Jet A or diesel for it to be very thin.

Even when the clear plastic line was collapsed no air bubbles were going thru it. I'm almost certain my problem is somewhere beyond that line under the steering gear. We'll see this coming weekend we hope.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying a beer in downtown Charlotte NC.

hoop

Good call Jim....I had forgot about that. That was one of the reasons that I disconnected mine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you confirmed that your fuel tank is vented properly?

hawkeyepoole

Well, I've fixed my Deuce I think. Since I got so many suggestions about fuel filters, I bought a new set. I replaced the in-tank pump and checked and reset the primary filter to no avail.

On Saturday I went to the hangar and pulled the secondary and final fuel filters. When I pulled the final filter, I discovered that the gasket was badly damaged. Now that I have replaced the gaskets and the filters, all is fine!

What's odd is that the truck ran fine for months after I replaced the fuel filters and gaskets. It seems that the heat cycling from our extreme heat has been causing the gasket to get 'looser'. Initially it sealed fine, but after numerous heat cycles it got worse and worse until it was leaking like a sieve. The odd thing is that there is obviously a low pressure, below ambient at those filters. I find that odd.

The truck is running fine now.

Here is an observation for those changing filters:

On my truck the secondary filter's gasket is very easy to properly install. The final filter's gasket, however is VERY difficult to properly install. It took me at least a half hour to get it properly seated and set into place. I even had to install and remove the filter can once before I got it right. Since this entire unit (the secondary and final filter holder) is CAST yours may be a different experience....

Attached you should be able to see a picture of the damaged final filter gasket.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks