• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Horn Auto On :(

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a used Kenworth air horn cheap off of eBay (really used - still had a chunk of fiberglass attached). I also picked up a new 12/24 volt solenoid to run the horn. I put it in the cab at the end of a t fitting under the dash on the right side. Then I mounted the horn on the right side inner fender well and plumbed copper line to it. A quick call to DH and I found a spot to tap into some electricity. The test went well, the truck had about 50 psi in it and the horn was pretty loud. I wanted to see if the horn was louder than the truck so I fired her up and tried again. It got even louder, BUT the thing won't shut off after 60 PSI. I need an American made, non eBay solenoid. Can any recommend a good one or a place to find one? I should have known better than trying to go cheap. My truck runs with 90-100 psi so it will have to be able to hold that.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces came with air horns? What solenoid?

The solenoid I bought has an arrow pointing the direction of flow and seems to only go in one way anyways.

FreightTrain

Banned
your switch ain't welding it's contacts closed is it?I had a Ford F150 that would do that with teh starter Solinoid.A solinoid shouldn't stick due to pressure since the electricity goes through a coil and creates a magnetic field pulling a metal slug with a rubber face back against a spring and away from the outlet letting air through.When power is shut off the air pressure and spring shove it back over the hole.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring isn't strong enough to close it cuz it's cheap overseas crap.

rat4spd

The spring isn't strong enough to close it cuz it's cheap overseas crap.
I'll check, I may have a used 24VDC coil. If I do, I'm sure I have a used valve I can send you. ASCO, DEMA among others make valves that will work, but they usually cost about $50 or so.

What size are you using, 1/4" ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks