• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air horn sound

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M39 series 5-ton and 2-1/2 ton trucks have different air horn NSN's, do they also sound different?
Deuce horn: 2590-00-900-1640
5-ton (M39): 2945-00-240-1684
5-ton (M923): Same as deuce horn

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm afraid I can't be much help. My deuce horn is the older electric style, (hmm, doesn't work anyway :? )

I do know that the air horn on the five-ton has an adjustment screw that is supposed to change the sound (pitch?). I fiddled with it a little one day, but didn't notice much difference.

From a previous discussion:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here's my 2cents , Most all air horns have an adjustment at the rear for each trumpet. But, some horns just screw into the housing to a pre-machined depth...most Japanese/Asian trucks are like this. The ones that have the adjustment at the rear can be adjusted, but, if you try to adjust them, the horn will,1; only make a squeaking sound...too tight against the diaphragm, or,2; just make a sound like air escaping...too much clearance between the screw and diaphragm. My advice, don't adjust it. As for the different sounds, it all depends on the length of the trumpet and the diameter of the diaphragm. Small dia. = a shrill sound, larger = a more throaty sound, and the trumpet length adds to it, like the difference between when a trombone slide is all the way in v.s. all the way out.

Attachments

texas-5-ton

Mmmmmm...I like airhorns ..I'd like to put some Grover stuttertone horns on the 813, recessed in the bumper. Hey Will, did you get my PM earlier?

Chad

m.walker

I adjusted the ones on my 5 ton till they sounded best ( I could here a slight change ) but the trucks air pressure was set at 90 psi , when I bumped the pressure up to 120 the horns were ungodly loud ! They are loud even in the cab , not to mention out in front of the truck .

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a nice long horn from a train. The diaphram is larger than the deuce horn, and also the trumpet is about 30". I tested it by connecting it to a propane bottle and blowing it that way, and it had a very deep tone. Then I thought it would be cool to light it. It was but don't do it in the house.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried adjusting my perfectly good working duece horn a while back and it hasnt been the same since. My advice is dont mess with it if its not broke. Mine no longer works correctly.

davesgmc

m.walker said:
I adjusted the ones on my 5 ton till they sounded best ( I could here a slight change ) but the trucks air pressure was set at 90 psi , when I bumped the pressure up to 120 the horns were ungodly loud ! They are loud even in the cab , not to mention out in front of the truck .
YES!! trust me!! I KNOW! I was behind him in a parade!

well, two truck in front of him, and still loud! And me in my ferret with my little "beep beep" horn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the answers!
So, the 5-ton and the 2-1/2 ton air horns are pretty much the same despite the different NSN's...and okay I won't be making any adjustments. Dang, Patrick what were you thinking, lighting the gas, what was the range of that flame thrower?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4s last word on deuce and 5 ton horns. This morning I took another trip down to Boca to pick up some waste oil. At a major intersection about 8 miles from the house we stopped for the red light. I was digging in the cooler for a soda when I heard a very unique horn blowing. Mind you I was wearing the powercom headset. I look up and approaching from my left is a dang nice looking M35A2 w/w. He waved, wheeled around the corner and sped off. I did notice FL plates on it so I know it was privately owned. Thought I knew of every deuce out here. Guess I'll need to catch up with this guy. Bottom line for me is this, I love the sound of Nathans and many times thought about getting some but after this encounter today, I'll be keeping the signature sound of the deuce horn from this day forward. Nothing sounds like a deuce and nothing sounds like a deuce horn.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pitch of the horns is set by the trumpet length, not the diaphragm pressure adjustment screw. They are tuned to a tritone interval, a very dissonant pitch between a 4th and 5th on the scale. Not designed to be regal, just obnoxous.

Here is the skinny on adjusting the standard tactical air horn set;

1..Get some earplugs.
2...Get an assistant to push the horn button when you say so.
3...Use either an allen wrench or screwdriver as needed to turn the adjustment screws. The Delco horns have a locknut you can loosen with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
4...Stuff a rag in one trumpet.
5...Honk horn whilst turning adjusting screw for loudest toot. Don't tighten too much, you may split the diaphragm inside. Don't loosen too much either, as the piston can drop down and you will have to disassemble the horn to reset it where it belongs. What you are doing is setting the amount of air that can creep past the diaphragm/piston causing it to vibrate. Lock it down when it is good.
6...Transfer rag to other trumpet and repeat.
7...Apologize to your neighbors for doing this at 0200 hrs.

Dust or corrosion can get in the way of the diaphragm and cause it not to vibrate. Usually a reset of the internals is all they will need. Sometimes the diaphragm is too far gone and in that case you can make a new one from brass shim stock anywhere from .002 to .005.

You can always make them work again without too much effort.

dg

ps...Two sets hooked up to the same valve will make an unholy noise guaranteed to get more attention than a streaker at the super bowl.

davesgmc

the horns on my 211 didnt work, well thatn again nothing worked on the truck when I got it. I was working onhe engine one day and had a can of penetrating oil in my hand. I have sparyed that stuff on just about everything on the truck so far. Well the hood was open and proped up against the windshield. The horns were facing straight up, so i sprayed a good amount of oil in each one. I forgot all about doing that until about 2 hours later. ThenI happen to try he hrons, well the oil came out all over the place, and then they worked! WOW the enighbors are sure gonna love this now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks