• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air horn woes

FFRCobra

So my horn stopped working that last time I tried it, just the sound of air bleeding when I hit the button but not enough to get the horns to actually trumpet. Solenoid was thumping back and forth each time I hit the button though. Figured it had to be dirt in the trumpets or the air side of the solenoid so I took it all apart and blew out the solenoid with compressed air and did the same with the trumpets. Problem turned out to be the trumpets. Pushing air through the inlet on the horns didn't make any tune from the trumpets but when I covered them one at a time I got enough air pressure to push whatever it was out and got a good air horn blast. Problem solved so I put it all back together.

Hooked up the shop air to the truck and "uh oh. that's the horns starting to wail" As the pressure built up they got louder and louder and by time I yanked the air supply and opened the drain valves my neighbors were looking for shelter expecting an air raid.

Double checked everything. Yep, wire 25 and 26 in the right place. Voltages all check out per TMs at the horn solenoid (wire 26 has 24+V, 25 was "floating"). Forcing ground to wire 25's input on solenoid does nothing, no solenoid click. I don't really know the mechanics of this solenoid but it seems there should be a spring feature that pushes the piston out until ground signal is received on 25 to pull the piston back and let air flow. Nothing is pushing the piston out.

(By the way, the P2P meter readings for wire 25 appear to wrong. At no time would it have 24 volts as indicated. It would be ground or floating depending on horn switch position. Am I reading something wrong?)

So anyway, fix one part and another mysteriously breaks. aua

I have to get it out of the driveway tomorrow and it won't build air with the horns blasting (nor would I want to drive it that way) so I had to leave the solenoid off the horns and plug the back of it.

So my questions are:
1) Source a working solenoid for the stock horns (anyone have one)? Or...
2) Suggestions on some bigger badder horns that fit the size and stature of a 5 ton? I always thought the stock horn was a bit high pitched and wimpy for such a big truck. They would have to be an easy swap in and not too expensive (say $100 range) to make it worth it to me.

What would you guys do?

Last edited:

FFRCobra

I think I know the problem now. I think there's supposed to be a little spring under the shiny slug. If there was, it's gone now...

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know the problem now. I think there's supposed to be a little spring under the shiny slug. If there was, it's gone now...
Check your horn button to make sure all is well. Check the TM to make sure all parts are present and accounted for. Takes the guessing out of troubleshooting. Ya won't think you'll know. : ) Good Luck with it!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my horn stopped working that last time I tried it, just the sound of air bleeding when I hit the button but not enough to get the horns to actually trumpet. Solenoid was thumping back and forth each time I hit the button though. Figured it had to be dirt in the trumpets or the air side of the solenoid so I took it all apart and blew out the solenoid with compressed air and did the same with the trumpets. Problem turned out to be the trumpets. Pushing air through the inlet on the horns didn't make any tune from the trumpets but when I covered them one at a time I got enough air pressure to push whatever it was out and got a good air horn blast. Problem solved so I put it all back together.

Hooked up the shop air to the truck and "uh oh. that's the horns starting to wail" As the pressure built up they got louder and louder and by time I yanked the air supply and opened the drain valves my neighbors were looking for shelter expecting an air raid.

Double checked everything. Yep, wire 25 and 26 in the right place. Voltages all check out per TMs at the horn solenoid (wire 26 has 24+V, 25 was "floating"). Forcing ground to wire 25's input on solenoid does nothing, no solenoid click. I don't really know the mechanics of this solenoid but it seems there should be a spring feature that pushes the piston out until ground signal is received on 25 to pull the piston back and let air flow. Nothing is pushing the piston out.

(By the way, the P2P meter readings for wire 25 appear to wrong. At no time would it have 24 volts as indicated. It would be ground or floating depending on horn switch position. Am I reading something wrong?)

So anyway, fix one part and another mysteriously breaks. aua

I have to get it out of the driveway tomorrow and it won't build air with the horns blasting (nor would I want to drive it that way) so I had to leave the solenoid off the horns and plug the back of it.

So my questions are:
1) Source a working solenoid for the stock horns (anyone have one)? Or...
2) Suggestions on some bigger badder horns that fit the size and stature of a 5 ton? I always thought the stock horn was a bit high pitched and wimpy for such a big truck. They would have to be an easy swap in and not too expensive (say $100 range) to make it worth it to me.

What would you guys do?
I know a gentleman who used an air horn off an ALCO RS-32 Locomotive. It is loud, toooooooo loud, cause somebody a coronary. Maybe something off a commercial truck. Mack, Pete, KW etc. $100 range? Try a heavy truck wrecking yard. Just my 2 cents.

MtnSnow

FYI
There is a small screw on the rear portion of the trumpets that can be turned to change the tone of the horns.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had to do mine on the 809 series and it was the ground plate under the rubber/plastic cap. The plate that screws to the hub was corroded with a fine white coating. Wire brush and it is working again.

FFRCobra

Just wanted to update this in case someone has the problem in the future. I evidently lost the spring behind the silver slug in the solenoid. I found a substitute that fit in the cylinder and just kept cutting it down a little at a time until I heard the solenoid thump when I hit the button. Which is actually just grounding the pin on the solenoid the 25 wire goes to. Saves getting in and out of the cab with no helper. Once I had it cut down enough to actuate I hooked up the air. It technically works but not perfect. Not sure if it's the replacement spring or the horns are still a little clogged. Think I might get a stock set from a 929 being parted and try the tuning recommendations suggested by Mike and others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks