• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air horns to replace stock ones

Ok, obviously there is space to mount two good sized horns under the hood of an M923....so can anyone recommend a good set of horns that has a much deeper tonal sound exactly like what's in the videos below...and would mount easily in the existing space...or would it require modification of some sort?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5R2y94o9j8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yCqmx6QXaA

Actually, I am aware that this site (http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts.com/category.sc?categoryId=32) is where I can buy the horns.....but I guess I am really just wanting some opinions and advice on how tedious of a task it would be to mount a new horn or horns.

I have read through the older threads and it seems it is a lost cause for me to try and lower the tone of the stock horns...correct?

Last edited:

dawico

I have read of a few members being disappointed with their new horns because the air supply to the horn is regulated. In other words, the stock horn does not get a full 120 psi. I don't know what it gets but just be prepared to deal with this situation.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to run really big air horns it is a good idea to have a separate tank to feed them. Someone put a large air tank in the bed of their truck for that very reason.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I piggyback a single grover stutter tone horn off the existing ones. Its loud, sounds just like a fire engine and there are no air supply issues.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I picked up some Hadleys off a popular auction site and they sound great. Also, if you guys didn't know, you can "tune" the stock air horns. There is an allen screw at the end of the bell. You crank it in for a higher frequency or out for a lower one. Make sure you crank down on the lock nut, or it will vibrate loose.

Andrmorr

I went with the kleinn 411. Kinda long, but since there is only one horn it was easy to find room under the hood of my deuce, and had the sound I was looking for.

Was about $85 on amazon,

sound clip:
http://www.kleinn.com/sound/411.mp3
I like the Kleinn 411 myself...It's made of copper...and it adds the base tone that's missing in the high pitch M939 horns...
plus $87 shipped on Amazon is hard to beat.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
All 3 go at once I tapped in after the solenoid. You dont really hear the stock ones over the big one though. I have my air pressure around 135psi.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I did it 2 years ago. The front C mount came with the horn I bent a piece of aluminum around the air intake to hold it there. The air plumbing came from my local plumbing supply house. I tapped in after the air solenoid so it works exactly as the originals. If its easier you can just eliminate the originals and plumb the solenoid air output right to the new horn. I did that with one of my other trucks I just dont have a pic handy. I like the grover stuttertone with the fire engine sound it really commands attention. My setup is every bit as loud as a real fire truck with 2 horns. We were honking side by side at a parade one day.

I did it 2 years ago. The front C mount came with the horn I bent a piece of aluminum around the air intake to hold it there. The air plumbing came from my local plumbing supply house. I tapped in after the air solenoid so it works exactly as the originals. If its easier you can just eliminate the originals and plumb the solenoid air output right to the new horn. I did that with one of my other trucks I just dont have a pic handy. I like the grover stuttertone with the fire engine sound it really commands attention. My setup is every bit as loud as a real fire truck with 2 horns. We were honking side by side at a parade one day.
Hey, thanks for the detailed info as I will not hesitate to do this mod in the coming weeks now. I wasn't sure where to mount or whether to mount it with existing horns until you posted the pic.
Having a hard time deciding between the Kleinn 411 and the Grover though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont have any experience with the other brands so I cant help you there. You wont be dissapointed with the Grover. There are some copies available on the net at good prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks