• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air intake mushroom

tbrenner

I was looking at the air intake mushroom on my truck the other day and it seems to me that the perferated screen would be a little restrictive at full throttle. When you think of it, that engine is moving alot of air at 2000 rpm's.
Not sure if anyone has figured out how much air flow (cfm) the mushroom can handle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure the engineers took into account the motor's cfm needs when they designed them. If you want, have your motor dynoed then take off the cap and re-run the test.

wdbtchr

I've kinda wondered about that same thing. I was thinking about putting a muchroom on the intake of my 5 ton to keep the squirrels from filling it with acorns every fall. After trying to find a reducer for the 4" to 5" on the air cleaner of the 5 ton, I got to thinking about air restriction. I finally decided to get one of the precleaners from Tactical Truck instead.

SasquatchSanta

Speaking only from an LDT vs LDS engine standpoint it is my opinion that the reason that the five ton has the larger air filter is to allow longer service time before changing. I believe a clean filter of more than adequate from a CFM standpoint BUT --- when running an LDS with a deuce filter you need to keep an eye on the filters condition.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, I've got a vacuum gauge installed under the steering column in place of the regular filter sensor. I can't remember off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to research and look but the amount of vacuum the LDS-1A (5-Ton) engine my deuce pulls is not enough to worry about.

Up to a point, an air filter cartridge's ability to clean incoming air becomes more efficient as it becomes dirty. Thie is because dry dust particles stacked up on the outer wall of the filter membrane serve to further filter the air. This point holds true until the point where the filter becomes so dirty it won't handle the CFM requirements of the engine.

I drive my deuce so little that it's going to take a while to see how long the deuce filter is going to last on the LDS motor. I believe that once the cartridge starts getting dirty and the vacuum starts raising it will be short lived. The larger 5-ton filter would no doubt have a much longer service life. On the other hand, 5-ton filters are no doubt more expensive.

IMHO I don't believe in using air to reverse blow-out (clean) an air filter cartridge. Tapping one on a bench to remove lose particles is OK but I believe using air degrades the filter's efficiency

wdbtchr

I may have misunderstood tbrenner's question about the mushroom. I was referring to those of us putting just the intake mushroom, not the whole filter from a deuce and a half. I was just wondering if the mushroom and necessary reducer produced additional restriction. I wouldn't have needed it if the dad blasted squirrels would leave me alone.:roll:

Actually if you think about it, both have the 465 engine or the same displacement of I think offhand is 478 cubic inches. Given a max RPM of 2600 you would be drawing the same amount of air. The engines with turbos might draw a little more but I don't think it would be that much more. I agree the larger 5 ton air filter is oversized to reduce the frequency of cleaning.2cents

I also avoid back blowing the air filter, I just shake it out every so often as part of routine mantenance. I've never had the indicator move so I don't know that it even works for sure.

As far as price on the 5 ton filters, Saturn definitely has the best price by far. My only fear is that some day they will no longer be made.:cry:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I just figured that since it works on my LDS it should be no worry for an LDT. Yes I am installing a 5ton filter at some point, but that is more to help me get my fuel fired coolant heater installed and pre-lube oil pump. I am short on space, so I want to put them in the stock airfilter area.

SasquatchSanta

I'll run some tests in a few days.

I've got a vacuum gauge in my air cleaner assembly. I'll see if there is a difference in vacuum without the mushroom.

Wow ... This is really cool ... I'm quoting myself :-D

Anyway, I finally got around to taking Rosie out for a long drive today. The vacuum stayed the same regardless of whether I mushroom was installed or removed. I ran tests on level ground accelerating in fifth gear at full throttle from 2,000 to 2,600 RPM. Vaccum readings with and without the mushroom went up to 9 inHg under full throttle as RPMs approached 2,600.

On another note --- Warm weather has finally arrived in the Northwoods. Today was the first worm weather "windows-down" day that I had Rosie out for a spin. She runs like a scalded dog --- God I love that truck!:-D

Thank You Mister Tennis.