• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air intake

corvette9

I wanted to get rid of some of the drone these trucks make from trying to suck air through the 3 inch hole in the stock air cleaner. I made up a nice intake hose with 3 inch flexable tubing and couplers that ran from the stock air cleaner to a hole on the inside of the fender between the batterys.

Well my truck dose not like it at all. On it's first drive it had a weird vibration it never had before. So I removed the hose and it's was smooth running again. I guess it dose not like sucking through a straw.

I read some other posts about some of you wanting to dod the same thing. so I thought I would post how mine worked out. Maybe a larger hose would help. I'm not doing it again I will just live with the drone.

IMG_0039.jpgIMG_0040.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

Man that is a nice truck you have there. I wish I had one like that again. :) I will have my son scour the yard for one of the OEM air mufflers. I may be making a trip to the Youpullit next Saturday. I know there is a 4X4 Diesel Suburban there. I am going to get a few parts from that one. I robbed the quad shock set up from that one and it was barely touched. Anyone else needs any parts let me know.

cucvrus

corvette9 I was thinking about the sound at 75 mph. It always sort of reminded me of being on a ski boat. Once you get the boat planed out it is an even engine sound. The faster you go the more even it sounds. After driving these trucks this long I do not even take notice to it anymore. I don't even think about it anymore. I sometimes hear crickets and locusts when I am at full throttle. But when I stop I still hear them. Must be normal for the season. When ever someone goes with me that has never been in a CUCV they ask if I have transmission trouble. They say it sounds like it is stuck in second. I just say no it is stuck in third and just stays there till about 80 then it smooths out and you don't even take notice anymore. Higher speed is the fix. Have fun. Glad to hear you like the old Girl. I did not sell you a lemon. Just a rusty lemon and that was known from the get go.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I've been wondering if there would be a way to use the hole in the fender of my m1010 for the arctic heater kit to bring in cooler air on the truck, and possibly open up the intake for better airflow? Maybe eventually route it to a snorkel on that side, since the hole is already in the fender.... Seems like i would need to have a 4" intake hose to make it work?

The first image is of a Ford 6.2 liter with K&N intake, thats what gave me the idea...

The second image is of the arctic heater intake on my truck.

airintake.jpg P1110153.jpg

cucvrus

I think that just needs a new left fender. It looks like they used a fire axe to cut that hole in the fender. You would still want to pick up air with some sort of baffle in place. With that set up you have you would be picking up everything on the road. Maybe even a bird or 2. Possibly an Albatross. Just joking but that is a nasty hole in that fender. I would just replace the fender if the rest of the system is missing. Unless California is expecting an ice age soon. That would save you a lot of talking because I am sure everyone ask you what that hole and intake are for. Put a big RED Arrow pointing towards the hole that says caution air intake like the Vietnam era fighter jets had on them.

Last edited:

cucvrus

006.jpgCorvette9 this is a Youpullit score Jr made today. If you want it it is yours. Thank you for your help with Mr Rusty on the cross member. I owe you that one.I have apiece of duct work also that I can send with it. Let me know. I am going to the Youpullit over the weekend again. Family day trip Jr and I. I know of a few old squares that have diesels in them. I hope to score some parts to market here or ayt other swap meets I attend.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 576960Corvette9 this is a Youpullit score Jr made today. If you want it it is yours. Thank you for your help with Mr Rusty on the cross member. I owe you that one.I have apiece of duct work also that I can send with it. Let me know. I am going to the Youpullit over the weekend again. Family day trip Jr and I. I know of a few old squares that have diesels in them. I hope to score some parts to market here or ayt other swap meets I attend.
CUCVRUS - is there a GM part number stamped on that reasonator?

rsh4364

What ever you do don't run an open style 14x7 aircleaner element to give it free breathing.It effects the cdr valve and will cause positive crankcase pressure pushing your oil out everywhere.Diesels don't have much vacuum at idle and they do need it for oil fill cap and cdr valve to work,please don't ask how I know.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks