• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air leak - behind dash

IronDeuce

Hi All,

Just one month into Deuce ownership and ready for a repair. I have a pesky air leak behind the dash - enough to hear it hissing at idle. The issue is worse when it has full pressure in the tank - dissipates around 60 PSI - definitely enough for a repair.

I haven't identified the source yet, but I believe it is the rubber hose that goes direct into the switch plate to engage the front wheels.

I've searched extensively, but havent had much luck finding resources on air line repair. Can anyone provide me with the following?
- Air line repair kit - would like to have everything on hand for this fix, as well as future ones, especially on the road
- Are there shutoffs I can use to help isolate it?
- Any special tools I'll need for these air repairs?

Thanks in advance!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an air leak in the line from the firewall manifold to the air pressure gauge. It's 1/4 NPT so get a rubber air tool lead hose. They are about 12" long so you have to put a loop in them to take up the slack. I picked one up at the Chi-com (Harbor Freight) tool store for $1.

Seth_O

When I picked mine up from GL the air pressure regulator (mounted on the firewall behind the dash) was adjusted poorly, causing it to leak air out anytime it hit ~60psi. It was an easy fix - remove, disassemble, clean & lube and reassemble. The hardest part was getting to the darned thing.

IronDeuce

Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it is somewhere along the line connected to the front drive switch. Also pretty confident it is rubber hose in nature since its gotten progressively worse. When we first got it, you could only hear a slight hiss with the motor off - now you can hear it while the engine is running and the air pressure is high enough.

Not sure how I'll find it in that rats nest, but we'll give it a shot.

Thanks again!

det rebel

just fallow the hose from the switch that's the easiest way i had the same problem and mine turned out to be the wiper control also get you a spray bottle with water and dish soap and spray every fitting that connects and see where your leak is best way i have found out

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe the front drive switch air hose has the same style air hose going to it as the air pressure gauge. both had a very small leak in my truck so i did the same thing another member here did, replace it with new barbed fittings and new air hose. With all respect to him, we had some cheap air hose we bought at lowes (bulk hose) and some of that leaked. i replaced it with some scrap air hose that we had kicking around in the shop. the quality of that stuff was better and have not had a problem since.

IronDeuce

i believe the front drive switch air hose has the same style air hose going to it as the air pressure gauge. both had a very small leak in my truck so i did the same thing another member here did, replace it with new barbed fittings and new air hose. With all respect to him, we had some cheap air hose we bought at lowes (bulk hose) and some of that leaked. i replaced it with some scrap air hose that we had kicking around in the shop. the quality of that stuff was better and have not had a problem since.
Thanks Wildchild - you dont happen to remember the size/types of parts utilized for this do you? I'm literally an "air head" when it comes to anything related to the components needed - first time messing with an air system.

Thanks again!

SteveKuhn

Ain't it a hoot to be driving along and look down and see 15lb of air and wonder where the alarm buzzer is?

This is a good link with DYI parts with sizes:

[FONT=&quot]http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31348-dm22630-how-fix-leaking-air-pressure-gauge-line.html[/FONT]

I replaced the manifold -> air pressure gauge hose last week. It was leaking on the gauge end between parts of the brass fitting.

I chose to have a hose made up a the local truck supply and had detachable ends and correct size adapters put on each end.

'Course I also laid upside down under the dash with feet on top of the driver's seat rather than take the dash off. I learned that Teflon taping upside down and backwards is much more difficult with palsey-fied, arthritic fingers. And then there's the blood rushing to the brain.

Instead of Palmolive water, I buy a $1 bottle of kid's bubble stuff and use a brush. Whatever bubbles.

Steve