• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Line Repair - M35a3

Timberwolf22

So I started to hear a large air "hiss" from under the hood of the M35a3.

Took forever to isolate the air leak but I final tracked it down to a blown air line on the upper section of the Cat 3116 engine.

IMG_5961.jpg

So I remove the damaged section of the line - it blew right outside the connector into the engine.

What I need some info about is the brass portion of the connector that slides over the line to create the seal for the connection.

IMG_5964.jpg IMG_5965.jpg

The brass adapter looks like it slides over the air line - not sure if its crimped to create the seal once inserted into the connection.

IMG_5963.jpg

Would appreciate if I could get some suggestions on where to find the brass fittings or if I need anything special to install on the air line.

The assistance is appreciated.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a little inside piece that goes inside the tubing, that allows the ferrel to tighten/compress the tubing against. If it is not in place the ferrel continues to collapse, or the nut runs out of threads. That appears to be the case with both of those fittings. If the tubing is still long enough, you can cut the end off, & redo the ends. DOT likes to see the vibration dampened on those lines, or supported in some manner that they don't shake so much. Given half a chance, that tubing tends to be vibration proof.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a little inside piece that goes inside the tubing, that allows the ferrel to tighten/compress the tubing against. If it is not in place the ferrel continues to collapse, or the nut runs out of threads. That appears to be the case with both of those fittings. If the tubing is still long enough, you can cut the end off, & redo the ends. DOT likes to see the vibration dampened on those lines, or supported in some manner that they don't shake so much. Given half a chance, that tubing tends to be vibration proof.
What he said, they won't compress without the insert at the inside of the line. About one minute into this video shows you what you need for a proper seal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpZfr0YQ28

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

I did notice the internal support piece that slides inside the plastic hose - in this case it is attached to the fitting. I removed the fitting from the engine while I am working on the air line.

IMG_5977.jpg IMG_5980.jpg

There is a Parker Fittings dealer 15 minutes from my house... the things you never knew were there - so heading there tomorrow to get the parts to get the air line fixed.

Thanks for all the input on the thread.