• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air or coolant hose?

vincentbsll

I have a 91 923. Today I drove it and noticed when I had started it, it made a rattling noise from around the radiator. I figured it was a fan clutch seeings how when I drove it the fan was engaged the entire time. Once I stopped and shut it off, I hear air blowing from around the fan shroud. It was the short water hose on the front passenger side leaking. Any suggestions on a fix besides the hose or what had caused this?? Thanks for the help.

sandcobra164

If you haven't changed the hoses yourself, there is no telling how long they have been on the truck. Even on a rebuild, they tend to sit for years. They also tend to deteriorate at a more rapid than usual pace when they have paint overspray on them. I'd change the hoses and let it go.

vincentbsll

Yea it was rebuilt in 2012. Is this supposed to be air or water! What would make the fan clutch rattle? No water ever came out of the hose just air. It never over heated either.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan clutch is air actuated.

A look at a parts TM might help you identify what you're looking at.

goldneagle

How about taking a picture of it. It would be easier to identify it then. It might be the air hose that goes to the thermal fan clutch switch. That would explain why the fan was engaged all the time.

vincentbsll

Here is a pic of the hose I thought was leaking. The air is coming from the black painted relief tip right next to the coolant hose. Not sure what you call this piece but the air line goes from it to the fan clutch. It constantly blows air even when I shut the motor off till it bleeds all of the air down. The fan clutch is constantly engaged.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks