• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air over electric trailer brakes

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been researching options to pull a civilain trailer with my deuce. I wanted some way to control the electric brakes and ran accross this- http://www.southwestwheel.com/store...=45&SEName=hayes-airelectric-brake-controller

It runs off of the brake air and should provide smoother operation than a plain electric controler.

I just thought I'd pass this along to anybody trying to pull a trailer with electric brakes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I may go in a different direction after finding this- GSL Electronics | Brake Controllers And Reversing Buzzers .

It's an electric brake controler that takes 24v in and sends 12v to the trailer brakes. I couldn't find any prices on their website but saw a thread in another forum where somebody said it was around $200.

I'm sure the air controler would give more even braking action but you still have the 24v issue to deal with. That's why I'm now leaning toward the 24/12v unit. After doing more research I just think it would be a much simpler install.

I also noticed that GSL offers lots of stuff to convert 24v to 12v and setups to draw 12v off of a 24v system.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My buddy Tim who has a halftrack got a trailer with electric brakes.
He asked to use my M54A2 to pull it to Tower Park for a couple of years going.
He installed a "brakesmart" system in my 5 ton and it worked like a charm.
We had to install a transducer in the brake line and some batteries which I installed
in the drivers side tool compartment. I don't remember any of the details since it was a
while ago, and all my drawings are on a nothe computer which I can't get to right now.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks