• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air over electric trailer brakes

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been researching options to pull a civilain trailer with my deuce. I wanted some way to control the electric brakes and ran accross this- http://www.southwestwheel.com/store...=45&SEName=hayes-airelectric-brake-controller

It runs off of the brake air and should provide smoother operation than a plain electric controler.

I just thought I'd pass this along to anybody trying to pull a trailer with electric brakes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I may go in a different direction after finding this- GSL Electronics | Brake Controllers And Reversing Buzzers .

It's an electric brake controler that takes 24v in and sends 12v to the trailer brakes. I couldn't find any prices on their website but saw a thread in another forum where somebody said it was around $200.

I'm sure the air controler would give more even braking action but you still have the 24v issue to deal with. That's why I'm now leaning toward the 24/12v unit. After doing more research I just think it would be a much simpler install.

I also noticed that GSL offers lots of stuff to convert 24v to 12v and setups to draw 12v off of a 24v system.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My buddy Tim who has a halftrack got a trailer with electric brakes.
He asked to use my M54A2 to pull it to Tower Park for a couple of years going.
He installed a "brakesmart" system in my 5 ton and it worked like a charm.
We had to install a transducer in the brake line and some batteries which I installed
in the drivers side tool compartment. I don't remember any of the details since it was a
while ago, and all my drawings are on a nothe computer which I can't get to right now.
Bruce