• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air over hydraulic brake problem

crzyxj

I am having issues getting the brakes to work in my 1972 M-35. I replaced the master cylinder and have air pressure, I still have stiff pedal. I must be missing something somewhere. It seems to be pretty simple system. Anyone else have this issue?

dmetalmiki

The problem you are experiencing is most likely with the air pack Which is the 'power assistance' on your trucks braking system.
Try sitting in the cab engine off, NO AIR PRESSURE. press the brake pedal.
Start the engine and build up the air in the system.
Now press the brake pedal.
Any difference?.

sandcobra164

I agree with above prognosis and diagnostic procedure. My Deuce had good brakes but an extremely hard to push brake pedal. My results to the above test felt exactly the same with or without air. Changed my air pack and I could lock the rears without lifting off of the seat and regular braking was much easier than before. I gave my airpack to a member who wanted to take it apart and see how it works. The "air assist" piston was frozen stuck in the bore of the can on the back half of the air pack. That is why alot of people suggest to remove the plug from the back of the air pack and oil the air pack on occasion. One step you might try is to fog some PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil into the back half of the air pack. I'm going from memory here and will likely get corrected. I no longer have the truck so I can't walk out to confirm. I know I put a "short" air pack on and don't remember it having the plug to fog the oil into. I believe my older "long" air pack did have the plug on the back side. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will come along and correct or confirm. If you're air pack doesn't have a plug, you can easily drain the air tanks, remove the supply line from the air pack and add oil. Start the truck, allow it to build air pressure and try pumping the brakes. If you get lucky, the assist piston will free up and you won't have to replace your air pack. If I had known that in the past, I would have tried it and maybe got lucky and saved some money.

crzyxj

Yep no change in pedal. I guess I will have to try to lubricate it. Any idea on cost of the air pack or where to get one? I am in the middle of nowhere Wyoming! LOL

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airpacks are in the $400.00 range nowadays. There are several suppliers on the internet as well as this site. I think I have some rebuild kits if you are interested.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put an air pack on my truck & it was a pretty easy job. I can't help ya on the rebuild, I just went ahead & got a new one.

crzyxj

It is not real dirty like I saw on the rebuild thread but the brake fliuid is in there. this truck sat for several years and I am finally getting to work on it. and an axle seal went to **** yesterday! lol. i drove it a quarter mile and well,,, #moneypit

pwerwagn

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar problem with my 35a2. I bought it needing brake work. The brake pedal is solid, but it doesn't actuate the brakes.

Is there any work around to have brakes to move the thing?

I also have a spare short airpack, but my truck uses the long airpack. Is one preferred over the other?

If the airpack freezes in the spot that mine must be in, is there a way to get brakes, even if not assisted, to move the truck? My truck is ~130 miles from me, heading down there tonight to mess with it. I gotta get it out of the place its at so I can get it on my trailer to haul it home.

--Jeff

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any work around to have brakes to move the thing?

I gotta get it out of the place its at so I can get it on my trailer to haul it home.

--Jeff
Brakes enough to get it on a trailer? The parking brake combined with low range and shut off the engine when it's where you want it.

Brakes enough to drive it on the road? No...

pwerwagn

Brakes enough to get it on a trailer? The parking brake combined with low range and shut off the engine when it's where you want it.

Brakes enough to drive it on the road? No...
That was kind of my plan if I cant figure out the full problem. The parking brake is pretty much non-functional right now, but I did not check adjustment or anything.

crzyxj

Pretty easy to adjust the park brake. Just screv it tight at the handle or the band on the rear output of the tcase. That is how I got mine home, Low range and park brake lol. Was a little sketchy!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When you are going to lube the air pack, use air tool oil because other stuff may be NOT compatible with the internal O-rings

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, if you rebuild the air pack, lay the parts out as you disassemble, SOME of the TMs are wrong, I had one that was wrong and 1 correct

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks