• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air pack to brake light switch bushing?

nb102

Does anyone have one from an old air pack or know where I can get a new bushing? I need the one that the brake light switch attaches to on the old style air pack.

While I was finishing up my air pack rebuild, I noticed a crack all the way through that bushing... Everything else looks fine and I've already got the air side done.

It's part #2 in this image from the TM
BushingImage
(Won't let me upload an image right now, so a link for now)

nb102

The bushing on mine was so cracked, it broke in half today:
131027.jpg

Any suggestions on getting one?

(Also, still can't upload images. Getting a "Fatal error: File system directory (path) is not writable or cannot be found..." Anyone know how to fix that?)

Thanks

welldigger

It should be standard npt fittings. Just take your switch and tee to a home depot or lowes and get what you need from the brass fitting section.

nb102

That was what I was thinking of doing at first. But NPT threads for 1" have 11.5 threads per inch, while this seems to have 20-22 threads per inch? I haven't seen brass fittings this size there, but I never really looked for them.

Or are you meaning for the air actuated switch? I still have the fluid actuated one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not brass and it is not a standard pipe fitting.

nb102

Aw man... I was hoping someone on here might have an old one laying around.

I went to the local hardware store just to make sure but there's nothing close. Figures that I break the one piece that's not a standard size:|

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been 6 hours, give it some time.

welldigger

Hmm my apologies. Mine doesn't have that bushing. I have an old short airpak but I don't believe that part is even used on that style.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep short air packs are different. I just looked; I do still have a parts air pack and 3 short and 3 long complete ones. The parts pack might need the threads chased on the center hole but it's yours if you want it. PM me your address and i'll mail it.

nb102

Sorry, didn't mean to sound impatient in my last post. Just frustrated at myself for managing to break that haha.

That was one stubborn bushing though, it took three days of soaking in penetrating oil and heating it with a torch to get that off. But I think the torch weakened it enough to crack it when it finally broke loose. I guess some stuff breaking is expected on a 51 year old truck.

Last edited: