• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air pump leaking oil..

chuck500cc

It's leaking oil around the base. It's more of a seap than a leak, not enough to drip on the ground but noticeable. What could be the cause?

Westech

CPL
gasket maybe? there is a large base gasket. You can remove the air pump clean the gasket surfaces off really well and make a new paper one or use RTV for a new one. should not be a bad job at all.

Armada

:ditto:Bad base gasket. Replace it. One of the base bolts between the engine and compressor can be a bear to get at. You may have to do a little grinding on the wrench to get it on the nut.

Attachments

FL_Frank

Gee, this sounds familiar. The entire left underside of my truck has a nice thin coat of engine oil from my air pumps base leaking (probably for years). Kept everything from rusting quite well, but need to address it eventually.

Good to know one can cut one out of paper board, and just RTV it - that'll make it a lot cheaper to fix. Thanks!:-D

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
been using cereal boxes for gaskets for years. I can't remember ever buying a thermostat gasket...heck for the longest time, I didn't even know you could buy them.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My father used to very frequently make thermostat gaskets from gasket material sheet, and also used non-corrugated cardboard (like cereal box) for some places. He also would rebuild the starter and alternator, replacing brushes burnishing the commutator or slip rings, etc. Rochester carbs too, from the old Pontiac Catalina wagon. I know how to do these things because I learned from him.

Today's youngsters are mostly very spoiled today on all these ready made parts. OK some jobs are too big for certain people and sometimes the factory made part is more advisable, but here really should be a class taught in grade 11-12 on "self reliance and craftsmanship". I realize that is probably not included in the gummint objectives. The school I attended only offered home economics, which I took because it was full of chix.. So get that cereal box out, and trace the old gasket or the base of the comp.. and "just do it".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks