• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air pushing out hydraulic fluid M925 converted dump truck

MrChuckles

Last time I raised the bed on my M925 it blew out a lot of oil when I lowered the bed. It is a converted dump truck with a PTO driven winch on the front. I'm going to sell it but was hoping someone here could give me an idea what a rebuilt pump would cost. The pump is what my mechanic said it needed. I'm not very mechanically inclined and have to take his word for it. What do you think the cost would be for a PTO pump?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful, that symptom is often associated with pin holes or cracks in the suction side of the pump circuit when air gets sucked in.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You seem to know your stuff. Is replacing the pump something you think a novice could do? How would you relate t he degree of difficulty?
I can have the pump on a stock 939 truck off in about 30mins. It's simple you need a 3/16 allenhead for the set screw in the shaft.

tobyS

Something is not adding up. I would get a second and third opinion before I bought a pump. You are not telling us enough details. WHERE does it blow oil out? Does it have a diverter valve?

The pump is just two gears that mesh together. What does your mechanic say is happening....or not happening.

It sounds to me like they didn't put on a bigger reservoir to hold the volume of fluid in the cylinder. Being a 925 conversion, the tank is just big enough to handle a motor (winch) unless it was replaced.

Last edited:

MrChuckles

Something is not adding up. I would get a second and third opinion before I bought a pump. You are not telling us enough details. WHERE does it blow oil out? Does it have a diverter valve?

The pump is just two gears that mesh together. What does your mechanic say is happening....or not happening.

It sounds to me like they didn't put on a bigger reservoir to hold the volume of fluid in the cylinder. Being a 925 conversion, the tank is just big enough to handle a motor (winch) unless it was replaced.
I've attached pictures of the additional reservoir that was added with the dump. The mechanic said the pump works to raise the cylinder to full extension. He said he checked and there is hydraulic fluid at the top of the lift cylinder. When you attempt to drop the bed, the hydraulic fluid spews out the original filler cap with enough pressure to blow it off the filler tube. After one blow off of oil, the bed will raise one more time smoothly. It once again blows off oil ion the way down. If you try to lift the bed again, the cylinder chatters like it has air in it. I hope that helps.

Attachments

tobyS

Did it work properly and then just start this? I'm seeing the aux tank nearly entirely above the vent on the OEM tank. Gravity would seem to empty it over time but that is not what you are describing. Does the second tank stay full? We need more circuit information....like how he diverted flow from the winch.

I don't think it's the pump or it would never have went up to begin. Your last post sounds like trapped air, but a few times up and down should have worked that out.....unless it is trapped in the OEM tank and can't burp out to the aux tank.

Is the OEM filler cap vented?

Last edited:

MrChuckles

Did it work properly and then just start this? I'm seeing the aux tank nearly entirely above the vent on the OEM tank. Gravity would seem to empty it over time but that is not what you are describing. Does the second tank stay full? We need more circuit information....like how he diverted flow from the winch.

I don't think it's the pump or it would never have went up to begin. Your last post sounds like trapped air, but a few times up and down should have worked that out.....unless it is trapped in the OEM tank and can't burp out to the aux tank.

Is the OEM filler cap vented?
It's still at the mechanic's. I'll do more digging when I pick it up and get back to you. Thanks for the remote diagnostics.

tobyS

Yea....trapped air probably trying to get out the OEM tank vent. 'm thinking you need a line from the top of the OEM tank into the aux tank and to cap off the OEM vent since it's below your reservoir and the top of the aux tank is vented at the fill. Otherwise the aux tank drains out the OEM (small) vent, since it's higher.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory tank has no vent, but should be added with the dump conversion, can’t tell how you have the aux tank plumbed.

tobyS

The factory tank has no vent, but should be added with the dump conversion, can’t tell how you have the aux tank plumbed.
I thought I remembered a small hole in the cap as a vent., like 1/16". With motor it doesn't need much venting but with cylinder, the rod volume will be pushed out and sucked in with each stroke.

If there is no vent, where did the oil come out? His statement was that it blew it out.....but where from?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks