• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift install parts and t-case install.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got the new/used, airshift t-case this last weekend. Sure is alot bigger out of the truck! I looked at the plumbing for the air, it looks like a no brainer, was checking out the wiring part of it. The wire for the light taps into #27 to make a 27a circuit for the engage light. I guess I need a "Y" to tap into 27. I have seen them on e-bay from time to time, but, figures, when you need it, it's not there. Anyone know where I can pick one up? I think I would also like some repair connectors, both M and FM ones.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Air shift install parts

PM me your addy Will, I got you covered on the tap. As far as connectors, I can cut some off a harness but I don't have any virgin ones to crimp on. Do you have the connector for the hobbs switch?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yeah, the switch conector is there, but the end is cut off that comes from the power source. Don't know if it's male or female. I figured i'd get a few of both. I can solder and heat shrink the connections if you can spare some. PM sent. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have exactly what you need Will. Get them out tomorrow!

mhb285

Will,
I've got a crimping tool/kit and the male & female connectors I think they are what your looking for... PM me and we'll see if we can get together.
mike

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I take the little light/switch mount apart, clean things all up and re assemble it. Make an air line from the junction on the firewall, do the wiring...Thanks Kenny!..and get the inside stuff all done, looks sweet! Fire the beast off and build air. Flip the switch...no light. Trouble shoot it, found the switch stuck in the closed position, but that won,t make the light a no workie. Mess around a bit more and used a VOM and found no ground path from the light to the dash. Got dark, so I quit. Had to go to Cucamonga to get my sons XR engine, figured i'd stop at the Bros yard and p/u a switch. Had what I needed... the truck I got the t-case from is gone. The only things left are the axles and the dash parts...that's where the switch came from. Get back home, install the switch, take the mount plate off and clean the dash and plate with a scotch brite wheel, I had some star washers between the mount capscrews and the dash and between the bracket and dash already, couldn't understand why the light wasn't working... Button it back up...STILL NO LIGHT!!! Re check with a VOM...has 26.94vdc. Try swapping bulbs...still nuthin'. I'm startin' to get a bit, how you say, frustrated. Used a jumper wire from the dash to the bulb housing, light works! Took a step back and thought about the things I did. THEN, it dawns on me, I painted the mount. I cleaned the part that touches the dash...but NOT the part that touches the bulb housing! WUT A DUFUS! I supervise 15 mechanics, tell them every day, check grounds. I feel like such a moron. :oops: Hope this isn't a sign of things to come when I put the gear box in :?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I got done dinkin' around with Jakes XR, I decided to start on the t-case swap. Took the passenger seat out, took the doghouses out. Well, since I was there, decided to take the trans/transfer shaft out, and the front , rear driveshafts, speedo cable, 1- R link, e-brake stuff. Took a look, well, only 10 bolts left, Might as well take it out! I have to say, out was a dream. Used a 1 1/2 x4 channel over the doors, and out it came. The drivers side mount on the air shift was different from the one in the truck, thanks to having a great set of stud removers! Swapped the mounts, decided the way I had it slung on the way out just wasn't good enough. Anchored the chain to the LH, rear top plate instead of the LH front, MISTAKE! Lifted it great, but went onto the chassis really bad. Took an hour to wrestle the pig back into the place it needed to be.....NEVER 2nd guess yourself! Got it up, all the mounts are tight. All that's needed is to put the shafts back up, speedo cable, interior and air plumbing. All in all, it was lots easier than I thought, went a bit smoother than I thought. I wanna thank all that offered help, but, I had the day off and things just happened!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you can lose that piece of linkage on the back of the tranny. Lookin good! Just did one before the GA rally!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$300 with the driveshaft and a bunch of other odds and ends..and a NOS bullhorn!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fired it up today, built air, shut it down and flipped the lever. Light works!! No air leaks out the vent and there is a pleasant "click" in the t-case. I think it works!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now go find a big tree and find out if it really does work.

When I got mine, the switch was bad and I wasn't sure it was engaging, so I found a tree to test it out on.

I should have kept looking for a bigger tree.

:shock:

davemccoull

Hi Will
You,ll find the air shift a lot better, i swapped mine last year, nobody wants the sprague case i took out, i,ve advertised it free to good home, but no takers, looks like it will go for scrap as the price is high over here
Dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks