• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift question

chuck500cc

I have flipped the switch on the dash on my M35 a couple of time for the air shift front axle. But should there some sort of clunk or something other than the light coming on. Will it "crow hop" like a regular 4x4? When I have flipped the switch it gives me no other indicators the front axle is engauged. When I flip it back to "out" I get a PFFFT of air from the switch.

Thanks
Chuck XD Fan

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't hear anything shift when I flip the switch on mine either (I've only flipped it sitting still). I know for a fact mine works . I've seen the front wheels spin :D .

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Air shift question

Ive done mine both sitting still and moving in first gear and its quiet and the pssst depending which way I throw the switch. Danm theres a light!!!!!!! Where!!!!! My 6x6 works no probs but now I have to find this light, hmmmmmm wheres the light, follow the light aua im walking towards the light :idea: zzzzzzzzzzzzppppttt SH!!T bug zapper you gotta watch those so wheres this light hmmmm................

scooter01922

its only a dinky little red light, right on the panel that the swich is part of, kinda hard to even tell what it is when its not lit up

Alredneck

Banned
Bright eh :shock: better get my shades!!! I plan on taking the ole girl out this weekend so hopefully I will see this phenominom then!

bottleworks

I do hear a light clunk when mine engages. The steering wheel should flight you in hard turns with the front axle shifted on. If it feels the same as when off, then you have a problem.

renovate7

If you'll try it with full air pressure but the engine off and ignition on you'll here a clunk from down under the floor board, not real loud.

m376x6

The test for air shift is pretty much the same for spraq units. Jack up one tire and with the switch indicating Locked In, see if the one tire off of the ground will turn more than about 45 degrees. There will always be some play. If it turns without locking up at all, then the tranfsercase output is bad or some problem exists in the diff. For Spraq units, in a forward gear the tire off of the ground will start to rotate backwards and then lock up, with the transmission in reverse, the tire will start to rotate forwards and lock up. Spraqs work on the rear wheels slipping in respect to the fronts and that's why it seems backwards for testing them.

Regards,
M376X6

saddamsnightmare

June 6th, 2008.

Mine has a light on it,next to the air shift switch, with a light kinda like the high beam indicator light on the same bracket as the switch. You generally don't hear much of a clunk engaging, but the truck will fight you on very sharp turns ("Traction Steer, I Guess?) and you will notice an increase in her pulling power. This baby's almost as good as the transfer case on the Unimog, and a lot less pain to use when it's working right. HOWEVER.... If you do get stuck in a deuce (particularly one Wo/W), life will get worse before it get's better........ The pulling ability of these trucks when they have good footing is quite amazing (I know- I pulled a phone pole outta line about a 1-1/2' unsticking a farm tractor)............
Uncle Sam did pretty well when he designed the deuce.... I doubt if the FMTV's will be anywhere nearly as useful in their 30's and 40's...... about the only thing that would've improved it would have been seriously designed locking differentials.... like the Unimog's!!
Just my 2cents worth.... (and who bothers to pick up 2cents anymore?)

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce..686A Tan :grd:
1968 Johnson Mfg. Co. M105A2 1-1/2 T Cargo Trailer MERDC Woodland
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gasoline Generator Set, OD green
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 MB NATO green

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks