• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Tools For My M923

bowoods

I'm trying to get a glad hand connector with air hose and purchase a 20 ton air bottle jack and 1/2 drive impact wrench with 500 pounds per feet. Any suggestions on what size hose to get? Do you know the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rate of air flow of the M923? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bo Woods

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post in the appropriate forums.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several ways to get into a specific forum.

One easy way is to click on the forum button, then select the correct forum, then click start new thread.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think 12 CFM. The 1/2 impact needs a 3/8" hose. A 1/2 impact won't budge the lug nuts if they have been tightened with a 1000 ft-lb 1" air impact.

bowoods

Thank you!!

I think 12 CFM. The 1/2 impact needs a 3/8" hose. A 1/2 impact won't budge the lug nuts if they have been tightened with a 1000 ft-lb 1" air impact.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the specifics. I'm trying to get the tools in the vent I get a flat on the road or in the forest. I think I read in the manual that the maximum ft/lb limit for lug nuts is between 450-500. But if they were tightened tighter I could be in trouble. I did have a flat prior and my 150 pound nephew had to stand and jump on the breaker bar to get them to crack, but we were eventually successful. Thnaks for the "12 CFM" it gets me in the ball park when looking for the right tool.

Bo Woods

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I would do ( have done). Instead of getting a glad hand air hose, just use a gladhand with a quick coupler directly attached to it. From there you can add any air hose. Sometimes you only need a few feet and dragging out 50' can be a pain. Second, get a 1" impact. You won't be happy with anything less when the fecal matter hits the fan. Next, the problem of air supply can be bandaged by using an air pig. What I used was a 9 gallon portable air tank, I added a 1/2"NPT tee and added a 10' piece of air hose. I can now run my small air hose to resupply the pig and draw air off the pig to run the big impact. You can run off between 4 and 8 lugs until you have to wait for the air to catch up but it does work well.

Other option is a geared lug wrench and a simple bottle jack. Will do just the same job with only a little more effort.

bowoods

Thanks for the help. i like the suggestions, especially the quick coupler. I like the idea about the 1 inch drive but am worried that there may be too much pound per foot torque. I think the TM calls for 450-500 pound per foot, but I agree with "Getting the job done" when it happens! Thanks for taking the time to help.

Gunzy

If you have a "Harbor Freight Tools" near you they are a good source for a 1" impact and a air over hydraulic jack. You can pick up a truck "bud" socket at a good truck supplier for the impact. As far as use, verify direction, put on nut, pull trigger. Do hang on with both hands as I have had it drop on lug removal and they will then remove toenails very well.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next, the problem of air supply can be bandaged by using an air pig. What I used was a 9 gallon portable air tank, I added a 1/2"NPT tee and added a 10' piece of air hose. I can now run my small air hose to resupply the pig and draw air off the pig to run the big impact. You can run off between 4 and 8 lugs until you have to wait for the air to catch up but it does work well.
I have pretty much done the same with my truck. I use a 3/4" impact to run off the lugs using the portable air pig set up. But, yeah, you do have to let the air catch up. I have a long range goal of adding a third air tank fixed to the truck with a 1/2" feed via the existing tanks from the air compressor. I also have an air over hydraulic bottle jack that works great.

Another Ahab

Thank you for helping out a new guy![/QUOTE]

Hey new guy, welcome to you BTW from here East, In Virginia.

I had a cousin went to college in Prescott years ago (or I think it was Prescott). It was a school that granted a degree in outdoor leadership, or something like that. He did a lot of mountaineering. Might have even been called Prescott College now that I think about it. This was a long time ago (sad story: farm tractor accident; he's dead now).

Is there such a thing as a Prescott College?

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Save the money and get a big truck four way plus cheater bar. Unless you doing a lot of tire work the big Guns they just sit in the shop. Don't forget to carrie with you in the field a good size block of wood or something for the bottle jack to displace the weight when in soft ground.

Another Ahab

Save the money and get a big truck four way plus cheater bar. Unless you doing a lot of tire work the big Guns they just sit in the shop. Don't forget to carrie with you in the field a good size block of wood or something for the bottle jack to displace the weight when in soft ground.
I'm all for it, but where do you get this animal? Do you have a source?

Maybe I'll give it a Google search ("big truck four-way-plus cheater bar"?).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.sjdiscounttools.com/ken35695.html Not a bad price for new one. I much rather carrie one like this in the field and a ton bottle than the air over hyd. Like I said I do a lot of tires and use my air/hyd jack and 1 inch gun at home but in the field 4 way cheater and 10 ton bottle. I can change a flat on the big trucks as fast as most can change there car tire on the road.I do cheat at home as I have an airman 185cmf.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

www.sjdiscounttools.com/ken35695.html Not a bad price for new one. I much rather carrie one like this in the field and a ton bottle than the air over hyd. Like I said I do a lot of tires and use my air/hyd jack and 1 inch gun at home but in the field 4 way cheater and 10 ton bottle. I can change a flat on the big trucks as fast as most can change there car tire on the road.
That's the ticket! I LIKE simple. Thanks, Floridanson.

I'm guessing you catch yourself using a cheater pipe fairly often, that right? And it goes OK?