• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airbag install

laproscopic

My second thread on this forum. Again I am trying to figure out and outfit this 419. This is not a working machine for me. I use it to drive around and I want to wheel it. The thing is fun in the mountains. We are getting ready to do the rubicon this summer June 11-15 and I am taking the mog. I suspect it will be challenging to move this big thing through the con. My little brother is going to bring a Hummer H one on 39 inch projects. We are going early in the year and so there will likely be snow.

I have driven the 419 on the freeway a lot. I drive her to work often and that is a 15 mile trip wide open. She drives nice all day at 58 miles an hour. That is at 2800 rpm’s. And that is with three 395/85 r 20 tires with 2 pounds of balance beads in each tire. Steering is very confident and secure. I know there are those out there that say that these short wheelbase 406 trucks are not stable at these speeds but I must disagree. I will admit that with the stock tires on it was more Squirrley but not bad. But these 395’s are smooth as can be. Off-Road they do pretty dang well too. Not so great in the snow but the large size makes up for it. I have never aired them down less than 65 pounds But I want to experiment with lower pressure’s. I am fearful of losing a beard and I don’t want to take a spare to the Rubicon. I will be carrying inner tubes.

So here’s the question. This thing rides as stiff as a train. I have taken off the rear sway bar. All of the helper springs have been removed. But it still hurts me. I purchased these Fire stone airbags and I am going to install them in the front and see how that works. I only want about 5 inches of travel and 5 inches of down travel from static Height at the airbag. That will equal more travel at the wheel. Certainly the shocks can’t travel as much as this. The part number is included in the pics. Does anyone have experience with airbag installs on one of these trucks. I have searched all over pirate and the Mercedes unit Mogg site. There just isn’t much info. If someone has experience please let me know. The goal is to soften up the ride and get rid of some of the pain caused by nuisance rocks. I know changing the tires would be one way to go. I certainly have considered this. But by the time you buy bead lock wheels and tires to match them you are in it at least 8000 bucks from what I can tell.

I threw in some pics I found of the Mogg 404 on pirate that had some bags.

Attachments

Speedwoble

My second thread on this forum. Again I am trying to figure out and outfit this 419. This is not a working machine for me. I use it to drive around and I want to wheel it. The thing is fun in the mountains. We are getting ready to do the rubicon this summer June 11-15 and I am taking the mog. I suspect it will be challenging to move this big thing through the con. My little brother is going to bring a Hummer H one on 39 inch projects. We are going early in the year and so there will likely be snow.

I have driven the 419 on the freeway a lot. I drive her to work often and that is a 15 mile trip wide open. She drives nice all day at 58 miles an hour. That is at 2800 rpm’s. And that is with three 395/85 r 20 tires with 2 pounds of balance beads in each tire. Steering is very confident and secure. I know there are those out there that say that these short wheelbase 406 trucks are not stable at these speeds but I must disagree. I will admit that with the stock tires on it was more Squirrley but not bad. But these 395’s are smooth as can be. Off-Road they do pretty dang well too. Not so great in the snow but the large size makes up for it. I have never aired them down less than 65 pounds But I want to experiment with lower pressure’s. I am fearful of losing a beard and I don’t want to take a spare to the Rubicon. I will be carrying inner tubes.

So here’s the question. This thing rides as stiff as a train. I have taken off the rear sway bar. All of the helper springs have been removed. But it still hurts me. I purchased these Fire stone airbags and I am going to install them in the front and see how that works. I only want about 5 inches of travel and 5 inches of down travel from static Height at the airbag. That will equal more travel at the wheel. Certainly the shocks can’t travel as much as this. The part number is included in the pics. Does anyone have experience with airbag installs on one of these trucks. I have searched all over pirate and the Mercedes unit Mogg site. There just isn’t much info. If someone has experience please let me know. The goal is to soften up the ride and get rid of some of the pain caused by nuisance rocks. I know changing the tires would be one way to go. I certainly have considered this. But by the time you buy bead lock wheels and tires to match them you are in it at least 8000 bucks from what I can tell.

I threw in some pics I found of the Mogg 404 on pirate that had some bags.
Have you considered getting springs for a regular 406 Unimog? The FLU with all attachments is a heavy beast and that is what the springs are sized for. The 395 tires are a very stiff sidewall and 65psi is even higher than the 12.5R20 tires. Hence your very stiff ride.
Guys with the 406’s are occasionally looking for stiffer springs, but must not be many as I have not been able to sell my spare springs.

I'm impressed you fit the 395 as, at 46” tall I thought they required a cab lift. I have 365 tires on mine and at 43” tall, they occasionally rub.

laproscopic

Have you considered getting springs for a regular 406 Unimog? The FLU with all attachments is a heavy beast and that is what the springs are sized for. The 395 tires are a very stiff sidewall and 65psi is even higher than the 12.5R20 tires. Hence your very stiff ride.
Guys with the 406’s are occasionally looking for stiffer springs, but must not be many as I have not been able to sell my spare springs.

I'm impressed you fit the 395 as, at 46” tall I thought they required a cab lift. I have 365 tires on mine and at 43” tall, they occasionally rub.
thanks for the reply. the 395's almost rubbed so I took of the front fender flaps. if the front end wasn't so still they may rub.. ill let you know
You have stock 406 springs for sale?? can you measure the diameter of the springs?? I will take a micrometer to the springs on my 419 and we can compare. post they up please. I may buy them

Speedwoble

No
thanks for the reply. the 395's almost rubbed so I took of the front fender flaps. if the front end wasn't so still they may rub.. ill let you know
You have stock 406 springs for sale?? can you measure the diameter of the springs?? I will take a micrometer to the springs on my 419 and we can compare. post they up please. I may buy them
No, I have spare FLU419 springs from one I am parting out.
there is more spring info on the Benzword forum.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wanting to put air springs, at least in the rear, on my SEE. It's not fast enough to warrant having air bags...heck, I don't even use the seat belt.

Anyway, look on Firestone's web site and you'll find all the specs. Swapping coils for air springs is about as simple as it gets, mechanically.

But before spending any time and money on a conversion, I'd lower the tire pressure first and see how it rides.
65 psi in much larger tires sounds like blatant overkill. I run 35-40 in my smaller tires, and that's with all the weight of a complete SEE, and then some.

Also, I wouldn't worry about a SEE fitting on the Rubicon. Those days are unfortunately long gone. Apparently a full size pickup with shiny paint can breeze right through these days.

laproscopic

thanks for replies
I baught some 4 foot tall jackstands so I can lift the frame to do the bag swap-im waiting for them to arrive. Im also going to lower the pressure in the tires and remove the front sway bar. by the time im done this mog will ride like a Cady.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks