• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft landing gear lights on a m1008

Usafmac

I have 4 par64 aircraft landing gear lights I want to put on my m1008. But I don't really know where to put them. My truck has a stupid billet grille that I was thinking about cutting up and putting them in but was looking for other ideas. They are 28v and 400w low beam and 1000w high beams. I want to be able to see at night on trails etc. Also if anyone has ideas on the mounts let me know. I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if it's not in the right place.

Mac

Shark Bait

I have 4 par64 aircraft landing gear lights I want to put on my m1008. But I don't really know where to put them. My truck has a stupid billet grille that I was thinking about cutting up and putting them in but was looking for other ideas. They are 28v and 400w low beam and 1000w high beams. I want to be able to see at night on trails etc. Also if anyone has ideas on the mounts let me know. I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if it's not in the right place.

Mac
I don't have any ideas for you on location, however the current draw on your electrical system will be heavy. Make sure it'll handle the load or may find yourself sitting on the trail in the dark. And fuse them correctly, or the light you do see could be from the flames.

Dave

Shark Bait

About 36 amps each on high. Use 8 Awg wire (I'm betting 10 would work just fine)
Thats what I came up with. 144 amps for 4 of them. If he runs them on the same wire I wouldn't use less than 8ga wire. Fuse within 18 inches of the battery. What is the alternator rated for on those trucks, versus current draw for everything else plus how long your gonna run em.

Shark Bait

8ga is rated about 70-75 amps. You could run a pair off of 8ga depending on what your relay is rated at. 4ga is rated about 130-140. Bosch makes a 75 amp relay. I've use them often. They are a twelve volt trigger, but you can do 24 through the feed in and out to the lights. They may offer it in a 24vdc. You could use a MAXI fuse on the 8ga but if you do 4ga I'd do an ANL. just my two cents worth. They'll be bright, that is for sure.

Dave

richingalveston

I would consider using just two and keeping two as a spare. two will be plenty of light. Mine are 24 V X 450 watt and it is crazy how much they light up.
Add some LED light bars for lower light needs.
The aircraft bulbs have a 100 hour rating. They don't last long so have a source for spare bulbs or plan on changing to another light when those are gone.

I did see on the internet they have new led aircraft landing light (don't know how much they are) only 60 Watts and 600,000 candle power for 50,000 hours.
I will get some of these if I can track down a price and can afford it.

Usafmac

I looked up the lumen for them and it came to something like 1.3 million lumen on low, with all 4 going. I wired one up real quick just to see how bright it was and holy crap. I think I will only need one MAYBE 2 but having the option of 4 is nice haha