• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

aircraft stripper

wdbtchr

If you have a commercial account, PRC DeSoto, now part of PPG paints owns a company named Eldorado Chemical. DoD Military-Approved Products

Their claim to fame is producing chemical strippers certified to military specifications. Mil-R-81294 covers the product that I use. PR-3500 contains methylene chloride and phenol. Not good to breath, but works extremely well.
http://www.eldoradochem.com/pb/PR-3500-PB.pdf

There are more environmentally friendly strippers, but those take longer to work, and in my opinion aren't worth the trouble. Your results may vary.

The last time I purchased this product, I believe the cost was around $125 for a 5 gallon pail.
The Klean Strip brand contains Methylene Chloride but not PHenol. Phenol is a really bad ingredient, when you get it on your skin it not only burns it chemically but will leave a white spot. The white spot is actually crystalized Phenol and the only way to get it out is to mechanically scrub it out. If you don't it will keep burning untill the sking dies, can penetrate all the way into the muscle. I'm personally familitar with this one because I worked in a manufacturing plant that used both Phenol and Sodium Hydroxide among other things as raw material for the process. Been there tried that, bad stuff.

Think about that the next time you take an asprin, that was the end product.

Last edited:

wb1895

With what ever stripper you get I would also recomend scoring the paint before application. Even with the self etching strippers it never hurts to help it all that you can. Just in my experence it has always worked better that way. just my 2 cents

Nonotagain

thats some nice info in the links you posted. so im guessing to get a commercial account i would have to buy a large quantity, prolly way more than i would need to do the job?? if all that they would want is a tax id or somthing i could work that out
The tax ID is all you need.

If my memory serves me the product is shipped from the Chicago area.

If you need contact information, PM me and I'll give you my account reps name and phone number.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the best way to make sure you have fully neutralized a chemical stripper?

I have always used plastic media blasting, but since CARC is a little too tough for this, I am considering chemical stripping.

goldneagle

What is the best way to make sure you have fully neutralized a chemical stripper?

I have always used plastic media blasting, but since CARC is a little too tough for this, I am considering chemical stripping.
Soap and water, but my truck was aluminum and I didn't have to worry about rust from the water.

airmech3839

heavy water rinse is what we in the aircraft world use...or isopropal alchohol.... like GE said make sure and dry it quickly to insure you dont have rust form...then prime right away...even if you arent gonna paint the part till later get a coat of primer on it to prevent rust.

Nonotagain

As mentioned, isopropyl alcohol or good ole water for the rinse.

As for combating flash rust, Galvaprep SG sold by Henkel will phosphate coat the surface and keep the surface from rusting and improve the paint adhesion.

Capt.Marion

How do you guys dispose of this? It's obviously pretty nasty stuff--and I just dumping dangerous stuff like this in a corner of the yard is a major peeve of mine...

Collect it in a garbage bag or two, or a paper bag? I'd definitely use some plastic as a dropcloth under where I'm working... but is the stuff that peels off still pretty potent?

Last edited:

wdbtchr

How do you guys dispose of this? It's obviously pretty nasty stuff--and I just dumping dangerous stuff like this in a corner of the yard is a major peeve of mine...

Collect it in a garbage bag or two, or a paper bag? I'd definitely use some plastic as a dropcloth under where I'm working... but is the stuff that peels off still pretty potent?
I'm sure those in the city could dispose of it when they have a hazzardous waste disposal. I burn mine on a brush pile, but then I'ma hillbilly.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks