• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft utility lighting

jimm1009

99.5 % of the CUCV is 12 volts.
The only reason for the 24 volts at all is due to radios that could be installed.
All the field radios are 24 volts so therefore they need a 24 volt buss for this.
I went to the junk yard and removed the dome light from a Jimmy or Blazer and installed the light in my M1009.
It is not worth the effort for the crappy little civilian light.
I even put a brand new light in and they have very littl illumination.
One thein that you may conisder is adding a 2nd under dash light.
They can be installed very easy and are controlled through the head light switch.
Aircraft Spruce has a lot of aviation grade stuff at a decent price if you really need aviation stuff.
Good luck,
jimm1009

dskchevy

For a dome light.........Hit the salvage yard & look for cop cars, They have a dome light (12v) with an on/off switch.
I would get 2 one for the front one for rear........... As for red bulbs you could buy them at a parts store.......
Or like I did was to poke them (the base) into a card board and paint them red I did all the dash lights also.........
Looks Cool...................:cool:

airmech3839

go to advance or autozone and look at the color strips of LED's they will run on 24v or 12v.... they dont say they will on the package but they work just fine and you can shape them and put them in different spots and they are nearly a flush mount!

stampy

I went to Napa and for 8 bucks they had a magnetic LED light that sticks anywhere (thats ferros metal) and works great as a dome light and backup flashlight. The other perk is no wiring and it's removable for shows or roadside maintenance in the dark.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Napa and for 8 bucks they had a magnetic LED light that sticks anywhere (thats ferros metal) and works great as a dome light and backup flashlight. The other perk is no wiring and it's removable for shows or roadside maintenance in the dark.
I have the same thing in my Oh-8. Works great but at one point the magnet did come out. A little dab of high quality glue and it's GTG. I still plan on adding an armor dome light.

AN/ARC186

If you want true aircraft lights try these, the under dash lights are secondary instrument lights and available from just about any aircraft parts supplier. The map light is made by soderberg and is available in various voltages as well as filter colors, the dome lights are available through saturn surplus and are the same diameter and lens color as what was in the cargo area of the N model Huey.
Hope that helps

Attachments

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

You can get them in 6,12 and 24/28 volt. the different part numbers on the soderberg site are for the different voltages and filter colors.
They are good lights, I've never had a problem with them.

From somebody that has seen AN's "light setup" in action in person, I can tell you that he has a nice layout. I can only hope that when I eventually get my truck, he allows me the honor to replicate / duplicate his system. Or at least pull some ideas from him.

RangerJake72

most aircraft systems are 28 volt. from what I understand the CUCVs were stripped down versions of the civi vehicles, with an extra alternator & battery for 24 volt starter and military radios

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks