• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airlift bumper install.

blutow

Frame ends stick out after bumper brackets installed. Complete crap. Now to remove all this. Sending back. At least with seco, you get the airlift shackles. Those alone are 90 for a set.
At $425 + shipping, I thought the Seco kit was drastically overpriced until I started piecing legit parts together from separate sources. Especially when you have to pay for individual shipping from each source. One of the L/R brackets (the ones that are different side to side) I could only find for over $100 right now. I'm sure if you spent some time vetting sources on facebook/ebay/forums you could peice it together cheaper, but at some point time is $ and it's not worth the hassel. And I like having "one throat to chock" if there is an issue with the kit from Seco. And it's on my credit card, so pretty easy recourse if the kit isn't as promised. I'm not really a fan of the ebay dispute process althought it's better than nothing.

Also, the kit comes with the teardrop shackles, which are located about 1/3 in from each end. I think the ones used for lifting are the d shaped shackles that go on either end. I'm not positive on that, but I've always seen them lifted from the ends I believe. I'm not too worried about it either way until the EUC for my govplanet chinook comes through...

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At $425 + shipping, I thought the Seco kit was drastically overpriced until I started piecing legit parts together from separate sources. Especially when you have to pay for individual shipping from each source. One of the L/R brackets (the ones that are different side to side) I could only find for over $100 right now. I'm sure if you spent some time vetting sources on facebook/ebay/forums you could peice it together cheaper, but at some point time is $ and it's not worth the hassel. And I like having "one throat to chock" if there is an issue with the kit from Seco. And it's on my credit card, so pretty easy recourse if the kit isn't as promised. I'm not really a fan of the ebay dispute process althought it's better than nothing.

Also, the kit comes with the teardrop shackles, which are located about 1/3 in from each end. I think the ones used for lifting are the d shaped shackles that go on either end. I'm not positive on that, but I've always seen them lifted from the ends I believe. I'm not too worried about it either way until the EUC for my govplanet chinook comes through...
Just ordered the SECO kit. 470 out the door. An extra 100 over ebay but I think it will be worth it. The seller on Ebay Collector90 is accepting the return. It seems a few sellers in the new york area sell together, or are the same people. Thehummersupply who I purchased seat covers from, some how sent me the tracking number for the bracket kit from Collector90. Shipped from same UPS store. My seat covers are now missing, but thats due to UPS.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered the SECO kit. 470 out the door. An extra 100 over ebay but I think it will be worth it. The seller on Ebay Collector90 is accepting the return. It seems a few sellers in the new york area sell together, or are the same people. Thehummersupply who I purchased seat covers from, some how sent me the tracking number for the bracket kit from Collector90. Shipped from same UPS store. My seat covers are now missing, but thats due to UPS.
Thanks for sharing your misfortune with all of us, there are aftermarket products that don't suck so being aware of the ones that do helps us all.

blutow

Do you remove these little plugs on the rear of the frame rails before installing the bumper? I'm not even sure what they are for, they look similar to the fuel tank plug. The top one sticks out from the frame and is going to get really compressed (maybe destroyed?) if I tighten down the bumper. Keep them and compress it or pull them?

1647735612799.png

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you remove these little plugs on the rear of the frame rails before installing the bumper? I'm not even sure what they are for, they look similar to the fuel tank plug. The top one sticks out from the frame and is going to get really compressed (maybe destroyed?) if I tighten down the bumper. Keep them and compress it or pull them?

View attachment 862000
I left mine installed. I believe they are frame drains.

Action

View attachment 862000
Spare fuel tank plugs.

blutow

A couple updates on that SECO bracket kit -

I noticed that the 2 outer frame brackets that support the body are different. The description from SECO actually called this out, but I misunderstood the following description:

" 1 LH Bracket Brace (early style bracket with hole cut out to allow for shackle) "

I took that to mean it was an earlier part that had the hole for shackle (which I needed), not that it was a part modified to allow for the shackle. I guess that's me being dumb. It works, but is much less beefy than the other side. I honestly thought it was a reproduction part when I got it because it was a different finish, thinner metal, and there is no part number stamped anywhere on it. I called SECO and they said it's OEM, just not technically for A2 bumper and it's an earlier part number 12338202-1. I still found it strange that there is no stamped number on the part, so I'm not 100% convinced, but I'm no expert. it fits well, so it works. Do some of these stamped/welded steel parts like this not include a stamped part number? Here's a pic of the 2 brackets with the unstamped one on the bottom.

1648050682937.png

Also, the retaining nut for the shackles is not proper depth and won't capture the cotter pin without adding some washers/spacer to push it out. I just reused the nuts from my original shackles, so not a big deal, but just pointing it out if someone is considering this kit.
1648051057737.png

The kit was a convenient way to get all the stuff and the brackets were all correct except that left one. The left one is the hard/expensive one to find, so I'm not sure I'd do the kit again (vs. buying individually), but it's done. My mistake for not better reading the description and understanding it.

Action

A couple updates on that SECO bracket kit -

I noticed that the 2 outer frame brackets that support the body are different. The description from SECO actually called this out, but I misunderstood the following description:

" 1 LH Bracket Brace (early style bracket with hole cut out to allow for shackle) "

I took that to mean it was an earlier part that had the hole for shackle (which I needed), not that it was a part modified to allow for the shackle. I guess that's me being dumb. It works, but is much less beefy than the other side. I honestly thought it was a reproduction part when I got it because it was a different finish, thinner metal, and there is no part number stamped anywhere on it. I called SECO and they said it's OEM, just not technically for A2 bumper and it's an earlier part number 12338202-1. I still found it strange that there is no stamped number on the part, so I'm not 100% convinced, but I'm no expert. it fits well, so it works. Do some of these stamped/welded steel parts like this not include a stamped part number? Here's a pic of the 2 brackets with the unstamped one on the bottom.

View attachment 862356

Also, the retaining nut for the shackles is not proper depth and won't capture the cotter pin without adding some washers/spacer to push it out. I just reused the nuts from my original shackles, so not a big deal, but just pointing it out if someone is considering this kit.
View attachment 862357

The kit was a convenient way to get all the stuff and the brackets were all correct except that left one. The left one is the hard/expensive one to find, so I'm not sure I'd do the kit again (vs. buying individually), but it's done. My mistake for not better reading the description and understanding it.
Do you have raised welds and a boss that feeds thru the bumper, where the shackle bolt passes? Or is it smooth on both sides?

blutow

Do you have raised welds and a boss that feeds thru the bumper, where the shackle bolt passes? Or is it smooth on both sides?
I assume you are talking about the bumper? If so, yes, that's how the bumper is constructed, just can't see it in the pic. I'm pretty sure the nuts are not correct because my OEM nuts from my old shackles on my truck worked perfect. It's not a bumper thickness issue unless there are supposed to be additional spacers somewhere I'm missing.