• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airlift/tie down bar steel grade

BigMontana

Does anyone know what grade of steel the super heavy airlift bars (4x) on the m1078 are? I suspect they could be sold for more than general steel scrap price, and I also suspect I'll lose at least 600 lbs gvw. I just can't bring myself to sell them for $0.08/lb.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are likely nothing special. The military doesn't care about weight at that scale (for general use - special forces are a different subject) or fuel economy in general so I'm quite sure they were simply made of normal steel and just made ultra thick and heavy to meet the design specs. You have to get into the US Army mindset - they aren't going to do something special to save weight if they don't need to - remember they have an ARMY of grunts so if it's a two-man lift or a three-man operation then so be it. They will just throw bodies at problems. Making the air lift sling bars out of unobtanium would needlessly increase cost.

BigMontana

Yeah, I like the winch idea, I was thinking it might be possible to fabricate an adjustable angle winch mount that functions like a beefy version of the gym free weights bench adjustment...I used to run oilfield winch truck and I'm a big fan of a straight line pull, and keeping your cable organized, but also winch backwards and forwards is a big deal too...

I'll just fab the plate to fit into the hole where the back airlift bars went in and use the same retaining pin hole (new pin from John Deere or similar shop).

It might be fun to have one on each side...that would allow the truck to be quickly rigged as a gin pole truck (two winches).

Two of the big winches from harbor freight ought to be fine to get out of any situation. This instead of buying super winches that cost way too damn much.

Im thinking mount a winch on part one... so can poistion a side winch on either side.

wonder if could weld them both togehter to make a rear slide out hitch similar to the A1r has hmmmm.

BigMontana

wonder if could weld them both togehter to make a rear slide out hitch similar to the A1r has hmmmm.

Instead of slide outs have you thought about using the super heavy, greasable, dump truck hinges and some lighter form of support for the down position?

I thought cable or ratchet straps for down position support cour easily create a canvas roof support, especially if you ?cantalever? The point where the cable attaches to the top/back of the hinged gate...

I was also thinking of doing that on the side, but with maybe just twin sized beds...bonus for this idea is the beds are insulation for winter solo travel as a skiing/storm chaser vehicle.

coachgeo

Instead of slide outs have you thought about using the super heavy, greasable, dump truck hinges and some lighter form of support for the down position?

I thought cable or ratchet straps for down position support cour easily create a canvas roof support, especially if you ?cantalever? The point where the cable attaches to the top/back of the hinged gate...

I was also thinking of doing that on the side, but with maybe just twin sized beds...bonus for this idea is the beds are insulation for winter solo travel as a skiing/storm chaser vehicle.
huh...... ?????????? you have me completely baffled with this reply. NO clue how this relates to my post..... but then again maybe you accidentally quoted wrong post. Been there done that........ or I poorly explained myself.... Been there done that too LOL.

BigMontana

Ah, you said "rear slide out" and I started thinking structural support for an RV "Slide out" I see so many people building those...it's kind of funny considering it mechanically.

They build a case with enough structure to support a slide out...instead of just using the frame and bed of the large truck they bought.

Third From Texas

Ah, you said "rear slide out" and I started thinking structural support for an RV "Slide out" I see so many people building those...it's kind of funny considering it mechanically.

They build a case with enough structure to support a slide out...instead of just using the frame and bed of the large truck they bought.
I think he's talking about the male A1R's pintle when it sees a sexy female LMTV....

20190917_114524.jpg

At least one build that I've seen had a rear slide out that has always sparked my interest. It'd be a cool way to support a rear patio or something...

92473056_10158237031754530_8296649339988606976_n.jpg

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he's talking about the male A1R's pintle when it sees a sexy female LMTV....

View attachment 900899

At least one build that I've seen had a rear slide out that has always sparked my interest. It's be a cool way to support a rear patio or something...

View attachment 900900
Boy i could use either one of those to extend out from under my truck to reach a trailer lunette ! The A1r hitch would be great if it was about 4 or 5 foot sticking out !