• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpac Lubricant?

What are you using in your AIRPACKS?

• Military OHT

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Commercially available Air Tool Oil

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • DOT 5 Brake Fluid

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Motor Oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

wsucougarx

Keep getting mixed answers on this one. Want to see what the consensus is.
What lubricant do you use in your airpacks?? I know I know, I don't like polls either but this get the point across without reading through all the posts

two.fiveM35

I have the tool oil on the work bench, but can'nt get the square plug out to put the oil in. I'm affraid to force it and break it. So i guess my vote does not count since I have never actually put it in.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the tool oil on the work bench, but can'nt get the square plug out to put the oil in. I'm affraid to force it and break it. So i guess my vote does not count since I have never actually put it in.

Believe in the force OB. I have had some so tigh that it took vise grips and rounded the head but it came out and I just put in new plug.Try and you will get it and my vote was air tool oil. Don't know who voted for brake fluid but HELL0 call air pack ???????

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lubricate mine with air. and water, and carry over oil from the compressor. Actually the last time I had to oil one I used SAE 30wgt oil, as I had some in a oil can. :grd:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a poll with the wrong choices will be misleading to others that don't know what they should use.

I know this topic has been answered in the past.

Air tool oil, 3 in 1 oil, hydraulic oil, hytrans oil, OHT are all good choices.

Just a few drops is all that's needed about twice a year.

A search for OHT, will yield a few good threads.

KsM715

In the snow or on your foot. Oh wait you mean the oil. Good question, Ive never looked that close at the airpack.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You put it in the port(there is either a hex screw or square plug screw) in the "can" at the rear of the air pack. That is for the "old" style with the long can. The new style with the short can has no extra port, so you would have to remove the "J"tube to insert any lubrication.

jatonka

OHT is Oil, Hydraulic Temperate. It is the Military recommended oil. But, I have learned that adding it to the plug at the rear of the air pac is not as good as adding it to the incoming airline at the front of the air pac. Adding to the rear doesn't get into the valves at all. Adding to the front incoming airline gets the OHT into the 2 valves. I do know that adding too much to the rear plug area ruined 2 airpacs that I serviced a couple of years ago. We have been rebuilding 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton airpacs for a short while and it is easy to see that the OHT needs to be put in where the air can move iit through the entire air pac. JT out

ctmustang

OHT is Oil, Hydraulic Temperate. It is the Military recommended oil. But, I have learned that adding it to the plug at the rear of the air pac is not as good as adding it to the incoming airline at the front of the air pac. Adding to the rear doesn't get into the valves at all. Adding to the front incoming airline gets the OHT into the 2 valves. I do know that adding too much to the rear plug area ruined 2 airpacs that I serviced a couple of years ago. We have been rebuilding 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton airpacs for a short while and it is easy to see that the OHT needs to be put in where the air can move iit through the entire air pac. JT out
I agree but I also pull the can off the airpack once a year and clean it out
and apply a silicone grease to the can and o-ringseal on the piston. I also put the oil in the airline. So far never had an airpack malfunction.
CT
:deadhorse:

Bill W

Used BFS (Dot 5) to lube the airpac in my first deuce , that was over 10 years ago and that truck still has the same airpac in it

Last edited:

Kohburn

why not add an inline airtool oiler to the the airpacks airline

I know some systems you want clean dry air, but it seems that it would be very beneficial to the airpack.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The in-line tool oiler works on the same principle as adding oil to the back (large cylinder) of the airpak, the oil mixes with the air. The large cylinder acts as a reservoir (like the in-line tool oiler).
Adding oil at the "front" of the unit makes sense, but then you'd need an actual in-line oiler with reservoir or else add a drop of oil very frequently for it to do any good IMHO.
When the air is expelled from the large cylinder it exits via the valves with some of the oil as a mist. The alcohol evapoator works on the same principle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks