• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpack for Recovery

Deucenut

I will be off to recover my first deuce next week. I have enough parts to rebuild almost the entire brake system, as well as wheel bearings and several other portions of the truck. I have a rebuild kit for the airpack but wondered if there was anyone who had a spare airpack they would be willing to sell, loan, or rent to me until I get the girl home. I can rebuild the airpack if I need to but would prefer to just replace it until I get home if there is an issue with the one on the deuce.

Before you start telling me that I should haul/tow/fly/pedal/levitate, or in some other way move it from the GL lot to my home please note that I posted my plans a while ago and got all that advise. I have modified my plans and if I don't believe I can get it home safely I will park it and come back for it. Safety is number one.

Thanks for all the great information I have found on this site and thanks for any help you can give me. I will post when I am leaving so wave if you see me on the road :).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hopefully someone near you will chime in with a spare. If not you might have to rebuild it, but that doesn't happen too often.

May the MV gods smile on you.

dabtl

I picked one up several years ago at the Red River Army Depot, jump started it, drove it all the way to Bonham, Texas, 118 miles. You may be surprised at how easy it actually can be.

YMMV

Deucenut

Thanks Gimpy and Dabtl. I am hoping all goes easier than I have planned for but after my last post about my plans and all the posts about brake issues I figured it would be best to be well prepared.

Thanks again!

ODdave

I drove onesraight through from Mississippi to Michigan that was bought from gl. The biggest issue I had was a fuel line breaking/rub through. Be shure to bring hose & clamps as you dont realize how hard they are to find till your in need.

DeucesWild11

Deucenut, you're doing the right thing, I didn't research to see how far your recovery is but I posted up a good rebuild on the airpack, don't have the link handy but it's called "My Airpack rebuild with Photos", it's not something I would try in a parking lot so you are going about it right looking for a good used one just in case. However, depending on the shape of the lines running to the airpack you may break a line or two just replacing it.. I did.. On my recovery almost home my brakes started locking up.. that was the Airpack.. let it sit for 1/2 hour and I was lucky it "reset" and made it home.

I hope you have no issues on your recovery, if you have any issues let me know and I will try to respond with my noob knowledge as soon as I can. I only recovered mine in Nov and had about a 65 mile recovery with a chaser car.. Feel free to PM me..:beer:

Deucenut

DeucesWild, your post on the airpack rebuild is the reason I decided it would be better to have a spare than try to rebuild on the road. I have your writeup saved on my computer and will take it with me just in case. I also have several other rebuild posts on other items and all the TM's saved. With luck I won't need any of it for the trip but it is going to be a long drive home and I would rather be as prepared as possible rather than trust fate.

Thanks to all who have posted, not only in response to my posts but to all the questions that have helped me learn the ins and outs of the deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks