• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpack sound

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question about the old style air-pack.
When you push on the brakes then release them should you hear air being released?
I am not hearing any air being released when I let off the brakes.

Thanks!!

wsucougarx

Have you tried putting some air tool oil in the back of the airpack? The air tool oil will help lube things up in there. It is actually something we're suppose to be doing to our airpacks for maintenance purposes.

emr

I never heard air, they are air over hydraulic, i never heard them sound like a truck with air brakes, if thats what u mean, do the brakes work? are they spongy? do they slowly push all the way to the floor? if not they work just fine, :)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did put some air tool oil in it about 4 months ago, but I may try a little more.

I have brakes and they are firm and do not go to the floor.

I just was thinking I had heard air when I released the brakes at some point back. Maybe not.

Jake0147

These brakes are not air brakes, nor are they air over hydraulic brakes. You will never, ever get that kind of sound from them. If you do, you should fix that immediately.

The air assist mechanism does vent air every time you release the brake pedal. It vents out a long tube, away from you, and in WAY smaller volume than an air/air over system. It is not loud at all, and does not carry well over the noise of a running multifuel engine.

If you have assisted braking (try with the tanks open or low for comparison, on flat ground with lots of stopping room) then the air pack is receiving air at the right time.
If the brakes release promptly then the air pack is venting properly. Hold yourself on a hill, in neutral, then just let go of the brake pedal. Look for an instant release of the actual brakes (not the pedal) and not a delayed release. A failure to vent will cause the brakes to remain applied if it's a full failure, or a partial blockage (slow release of air) will cause a slow release of the service brakes.

rlwm211

I would suggest you add oil to the airline before the airpack. This lubricates the air valve and the piston. If by chance you add too much oil to the area behind the piston it can cause problems or at least make an infernal mess inside the air pack.

As to the sound of air releasing. If you build air and shut the truck off and then really push the brake pedal hard and release you will hear the sound of air releasing but not much and not for very long.

For the record, the deuce brakes are air assisted Hydraulic which operate in a similiar fashion to any passenger car brake system with the difference being that it is pressurized air that provides the energy to add to your braking effort to create the force required to pressurze the braking system on a deuce.

RL

Heavysteven

When I serviced mine, I added a little oil to the incoming air line. Then took off the exhaust line, disconnect the vent from the master cylinder and took a air gun blew out the vent line. Held my thumb over the tee where the mc vent connects. This way no crud gets in to the brake fuild.

Cycled the brakes a couple times before I reconnect the vent, all good. I can hear the exhaust when the trucks off.

wsucougarx

That's one thing on the truck I'm more worried about more than anything. I never ever take the deuce's brakes for granted. It amazes me how guys can take their trucks out without parking brakes (not too effective but works to slow down), never check their brake fluid levels, and haven't so much as serviced their brakes at all. I don't have OCD but when it comes to these brakes I'm all over OCD;-)

nk14zp

That's one thing on the truck I'm more worried about more than anything. I never ever take the deuce's brakes for granted. It amazes me how guys can take their trucks out without parking brakes (not too effective but works to slow down), never check their brake fluid levels, and haven't so much as serviced their brakes at all. I don't have OCD but when it comes to these brakes I'm all over OCD;-)
:ditto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks