• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpack to air tank line replacement

mikey

My deuce has a leak in the copper line connecting my airpack to the air tank. Has anyone replaced that line with air brake hose or anything other than copper? If so, what OD did you use?

Thanks

Mikey

mikey

I've attached a pic where I'm leaking. Current OD of this copper is half inch. I'm wondering if anyone has gone to PVC or rubber and if there is any benefit to increasing or decreasing the OD of the line.

Thanks

Mikey

Attachments

caliber1

Wouldn't go with PVC for sure. I would find a reputable AC repair shop, they should be able to flare you a new line reasonably. Just a thought.

rlwm211

Take the line off. Go to a reputable plumbing store preferrably a commercial oriented one. Have them cut and flare the line and you can re-use your old fittings unless they are damaged.

The military used copper in a war zone so I would not try to outthink their logic.

Just my two cents

RL

123mack

When I have a copper line go bad, I replace it with the nylon line that commercial trucks use. It's DOT rated and any parts house that caters to heavy trucks will have it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, use the DOT air brake nylon stuff. There are fittings made that will be compression for copper on one side and compression for nylon on the other. Splice it an you are GTG. You'll need to replace the fitting on the air pak to the nylon tube type.

mikey

Thanks all. I'll go with the DOT approved line of the same diameter and try to find the new fitting as well.

Mikey

Bcurtman

I did a switch to Nylon 6/6 DOT approved air line and push connect fittings on mine. Easy to do and easy to unhook if you ever need to.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Bcurtman's assessment on the push connect fittings. They are super easy to use and cheap to replace if one goes bad (I've never had one go bad, but I have cracked a couple if they get hit with something). I also use standard airline tubing - Linear Low Density Polyethyene - in 3/8 diameter. It has way better stress crack resistance and works well in cold temps too. It's pretty cheap (way cheaper than copper), easy to work with and easy to splice. On the other hand, if you want your MV all original, then stick with copper. 2cents2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks