• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska Convoy?

chesnimnus

Does anyone know anything about some sort of convoy up the Alcan highway in 2011 or 2012? I had someone ask me if I knew anything about it, and I don't. He said he heard it from several other folks that one was being planned. If you know anything about this, I would be interested in maybe going.

jatonka

We are heading up in 2012, with the MVPA to commemorate the building of the Alcan Highway in 1942. 70 years ago. The east coast supplied most of the GIs to build it, so we are sending all the guys we can to salute it. JT out

CMP Nut

ALCAN convoy

There is some talk by the Western Command MVers are planning on heading up that way as well. check out Maple Leaf Up forum.

cheers

mike

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am planning to go in 2011. I was planning for this year, but if I wait until next, I can have 2 months worth of vacation time saved up. Neil Hendrix is also planning to be my copilot.

wehring

sounds like fun

Sounds like fun. Where does the 2012 trip start and end? I have spent a lot of time building a remote location camper out of a deuce. I am in.

Justin Wehirng
979 997 3112

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well........if MVPA is going........why not go with them and make it a joint Steelsoldiers/MVPA adventure. The cooperation at the 2009 MVPA convention was outstanding.
It would allow for plenty of planning. There are a lot of logistics involved in this type endeavor.....just like a military exercise.
Fuel stops, lodging, sightseeing stops along the way, maintenence, emergency/recovery operations and repair facilities all need to be mapped out.
Planning media events along the way to allow the press photo and interview ops would open the door to corporate sponsorship. I'm sure some of the surplus dealers would like name recognition of their products and services.
Lots of stuff to consider.