• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska to Alabama in Brutus

Blackbear

Hats off to you guys with connections, that's a big relief when your stranded, tb58, just so you know I started up to the gasping acres ralley today, about 235 miles each way, hin the first twenty miles had water in the fuel, twice, then blew belt, trucks in shop till morning no ralley, may have to remove fuel tank.

AZK9

Such an awesome bunch of folks on this site!

Being stranded on a long trip is not fun at all, but... knowing that so many
caring and capable members have your back is just fantastic!

TB58... The U-Haul idea is a good backup plan, but somehow I think with all
of this positive energy and effort focused your way... you'll soon be rolling
down the highway in your treasured OD machine... not a rented orange one. ;-)

Well... that's my hope for you anyway.

TB58

It is amazing that 24 hrs ago I was convinced I would be storing the Deuce and continuing in a U-haul. Thank you so much to DavidWymore and elkhtr for doing the leg work and getting me in touch with The local guy(I want to talk to him about it before I post up his info). He is a great guy with a huge amount of knowledge. I ended up getting to his yard kinda late due to some alternator issues. We found a good transmission and will be installing it in the morning. May also get some mrap tires to run singles. His place is like a toy store. I wish i had a week so I could go through everything and fix all that ails Brutus. Thank you

elkhtr

Wow, Brad is going to let you swap it there. That is fantastic, you couldn't be in a better place. Your wallet however, may be in jeopardy. Good luck Terrance, keep us posted.

Mridgeway

That's awesome man. I travel a lot for work and know that sinking feeling of being stuck somewhere. Glad all the members here got you fixed up and hope the rest is more pleasant of a trip

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TB58: I'm so thankful you're in a safe place filled with spare parts and helpful Steel Soldiers. :) If possible, have your friend go through Brutus with a fine toothed comb. See if your friend can find some helpers to speed up the repairs. Fix all the critical apparent problems, and buy enough spared to deal with the potential problems down the road.

armytruck63

I've know Brad M. for over 40 years and he is a great guy. My brother and I beaned Brad with his own snowballs that we stole off the porch of his cabin at Lake Sequoia back in 1976. He called us little rats after that.

Jared

Appreciate the way you're sharing your trip with everyone here. Seems like you've had more than a few problem and I think you're maybe still in Canada? It's got to be costing you more than planned. I can't offer the kind of advice you're getting from the experience on this site so I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks to your "parts fund". If that's OK with you just PM me your PayPal (email) address.

TB58

Brad is a life saver. Although he is insanely busy with stuff going on at the yard he not only lent me tools and use of his yard he also provided expert advice and a forlift. He also set the idle and looked over some other stuff for me. I wish I had a week here to go through all of his stuff and fix all the little things. Also due to time I wont be getting the 12.00x20 singles. Breaking down that many wheels is a bit beyond my remaining time allowed.

I got off very lightly in the price department. I was worried about that part and had about broke an ATM on my way over there, didnt need all that I took out. I still have enough to fuel this beast for the rest of the trip.

Jared, We made it to Washington a few days ago(couldnt tell you exactly, they all blend together). I really appreciate the offer, but I am doing ok as of now. I see you are in the back of a Blackhawk in your avatar, are you a crewchief?

I think the old transmission had more problems than I thought. Driving the new (used) one there is a lot less noise, it accelerates a lot smoother and shifts way easier. I though the old one was just how driving a deuce was.

When i drained the gearbox I didnt see any metal flakes which I had been expecting. The oil was pretty nasty though. Once all the oil was out i fished around with my finger and pulled out the chunks in picture below. The big one is the entire tooth. Not supprising it was being weird.

Tomorrow we will get on the road again. We are planning on going over 410 through Rainier and south on 97 to California. Well see what breaks next :-D

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks