• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan M105A2 recovery

blybrook

First, thanks to all that have provided information concerning their personal M105A2 recoveries. This information was quite helpful as I prepared to make the 340 mile one way drive to obtain mine. The track width in comparison to the width of my trailer was extremely helpful.

I won a GL lot for a Spade M105A2 in January 2010; got the EUC approval at the end of February (it was my first), and picked it up yesterday. The trailer is a 1988 model per the data plate, and almost all of the sides / bows were included. It has two broken bow ends, is missing the rear gate, one bow end and the stabilizer foot at the back of the unit. I had not previously inspected the trailer due to the distance involved; but these missing pieces will not keep me from utilizing the trailer as I originally intended.

I took most of the tools that were described in the other threads and had no major issues with the loading or hauling home. My 20' car hauler is only 80" wide, so I took along a piece of Channel 10 that was scrap from an old semi frame to extend the width of the trailer to 88" if required. Upon getting to Elmendorf AFB DRMO and pulling the trailer out, I measured the track width to be 76"; permitting 2" on each side without needing the channel. The operator, Grant, pulled the trailer out of the snow bank, lifted it up (only knocked off the air tank bleeder stem), and placed it on my trailer as shown in Photo 3. He then left me to tie it down and prepare it for the trip home.

I stopped twice to check the chains / straps; once at 50 miles and again at 150 miles. Since I could see the tires bulged on the hauler in my mirrors, I could tell that everything was still tight and I didn't have any issues with it attempting to move around; even in bumpy mountain passes. I had locked the hand brakes before leaving DRMO as a secondary restraint. Everything stayed put during the entire trip and made it home safely. I felt safer putting it on my trailer and hauling it home then attempting to tow it home with unknown bearings / tires, etc... 340 miles through several mountain passes is not something I wanted to do with an unknown trailer that I didn't have braking control with.

Pictures were taken after getting it back to Fairbanks & unhooked from the truck as I failed to do it while on the road. Current base regulations prevented on site pictures, I sure didn't want to have to deal with SF unless absolutely necessary. The first is of the back of the trailer after disconnecting, while it is still chained down. The second is of the bows and materials that were in the bed of the trailer; including my homemade ramps for the car hauler. Third is the side shot of the trailer while it is in the parking spot out of harms way in the yard. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase thus far and there is extremely little rust.

Future use of the trailer will be to hold my 350 gallon water tank and possibly 2 55 gallon drums of fuel oil. I plan to pull off the original "jack" and replace with a 4k bull dog crank jack in the same hole if I can make it fit / work.

I will be pulling the trailer with a F250 extended cab Diesel, manual transmission; so power is not an issue; Stopping is. I have to look at what kind of air system was added to the truck by the previous owner for his fifth wheel trailers, or I'll get a 7.2K axle with electric brakes and wheels that match the truck. That is yet to be determined; it'll wait till spring. I just know that I have 2 air lines to the back of the truck, class 5 Reese hitch, 5th wheel plate and a vacuum gauge next to my braking controller with an handle pull to adjust / activate.

I have read the previous responses concerning getting a military vehicle such as a Deuce to pull it (as designed); but the DRMO doesn't typically have those up here, and when they do, they go for more than they are worth stateside. Shipping it up here would kill the purchase also. So I have to make due with what I have available. The M101 trailers were not listed until recently, I'm watching those, but the 3k off road capacity is exactly what I need to haul the water tank home.

I will continue to update this thread or make a new one as I make the changes / updates to my trailer and get it ready for use in case it helps another as the current threads have helped me.

Thanks again to all those that have previously posted.

Bill

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks