• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan MV owners? DMV Registration questions

800summit

10-4 Dont get it registered as commercial unless you want to pay $ . For what little you use it Historic is the way to go.
And when it is not in use have the insurance suspended when not in use.This will save you some $ also.

flyusn99

Ak dmv

Sigo,
I researched all the relevant Ak codes and statues and technically if its over 10k lbs you're commercial regardless of which plates you get. Even if you go historic/normal/military plates the statues say if its over 10,000lbs you automatically get charged commercial rates. Now I'm not saying that's what the DMV will automatically charge you but that's what they are technically SUPPOSED to charge you.
In my case when my dad went in the lady behind the counter asked him if it was a pickup. He said yes, so she thought that the 13,500 had one too many zero's on it and dropped one. Charged me for a 1350 pound vehicle and thus the normal rates.
Not sure how this will work out for you, it seems everyone else I've talked to has had experiences all over the map with their local DMV.
So far as inspections go, no one ever asked to see my truck but that could have been since my dad was doing it for me with a AK DMV POA. That said, I have never had a vehicle inspected at the Ketchikan DMV and I've registered about 4 through there....
Not sure if that answers your questions or not, if not shoot me a PM. Good luck.

James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks