• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol as fuel

goliath

I have access to several hundred gallon of isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone know whether this can be used as fuel for the deuce and if so, does it need to be mixed with something else, like diesel of used motor oil.

Thanks,

Goliath

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Isopropyl alcohol isn't for drinking. (rubbing alcohol) Well you could drink it, but after your liver processes it into formaldehyde you'll go blind. Or dead.

Isopropyl alcohol is fine as a diesel addetive in small quantity especially if you're using WVO or biodiesel to prevent freezing. If you've got a deuce and you plan to run WMO, you can use the alcohol to thin the oil so it will filter easier and move through the fuel system. If you mix it with WMO, I'd say about 45 gallons of WMO to 5 gallons of alcohol should make a Multifuel deuce happy.:cool:

kennys@wi.rr.com

I would never run alchohol through a diesel. The fuel system needs lube and it gets that from the diesel. Alchohol is a solvant and will dry the system out causing damage. Very small qnty is ok for anti gel but anything measured in gallons is not small. Just my opinion.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never run alchohol through a diesel. The fuel system needs lube and it gets that from the diesel. Alchohol is a solvent and will dry the system out causing damage. Very small qnty is ok for anti gel but anything measured in gallons is not small. Just my opinion.
And the fact it is a solvent , it will break every piece of crud in the fuel tank and fuel system loose . So be prepared to change fuel filters very often .

Last edited:

dozer1

I would bet that the place to use it as a fuel would be a modern flex fuel vehicle. The properties of it would have to be pretty close to ethanol. But don't take my word for it. DO LOTS OF RESEARCH before adding it to the tank..:smile:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ALSO a lot of rubber in the fuel system in older trucks do not like ALCOHOL

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It would have to be a surenuff SHTF situation before I would try it, even cut with WMO etc.

I'm no expert but I don't think it would end well and not worth the risk.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron's correct, any 'rubber' parts will have to be replaced with Viton rubber. Hoses, "O" rings, etc. will have to be replaced BEFORE, so crap does not get into the HH or the injectors. Plus the alcohol does not have anywhere as much energy as 'more conventional' fuels. Not a good idea at all. Gasoline was listed as a "gotta move 10 miles or be run over by the enemy" fuel, not as an everyday "fill 'em up" fuel.

WizardBlack

Yeah, one of my businesses buys 99% IPA by the 55 gallon drum. I wouldn't stick it in an engine, though. It makes a great source to clean out parts. For example, I have a '77 280Z with RB25DET in it and I used a massive Jaguar V12 oil cooler for the project. I hooked up lines to the old oil cooler and circulated a 1 Gallon can of IPA through it for a few hours to break everything up and clean it out before putting it on the car. If I were you, I'd save a good amount just for those kinds of things. It also makes a good cleaner for the surface of the deuce right before you paint it. Likewise, you can mix it with a certain amount of water as a wetsanding mixture ; the more water you add, the longer the evap rate. You can adjust it to suit. If you also add just a tiny bit of dish soap to the IPA/H2O mix, you have a professional spray to install decals. The soap will make it slick to squeegee out bubbles and the IPA will cause all of it to evaporate away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks