• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alfa Heaven just put up a Sweet M1009

Armada

Especially since they seem to only detail and fix the things you can see. Looks nice though. What is "Pre-wired for communications"?

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Alfa Heaven just put up a Sweet M1009

Armada said:
Especially since they seem to only detail and fix the things you can see. Looks nice though. What is "Pre-wired for communications"?
Exactly. I was looking to buy the last unit from them. I was glad I missed it by a day after I read about the gent. that bought one and had so may problems and the cut fenders. But man, they sure like nice in the pictures...

ojsdna744

Their trucks ALWAYS look very nice. Never have had a chance to see them in person, but they sure look good on the site! (the "fresh from Europe" bit sounds kinda cheesy, but whatever)

Haven't I seen a few board members purchase from there recently? :?:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They certainly do look nice, but I could never convince myself to give that kinda cash for a M1009. Then again, I am a very hands on guy and like to do a lot of stuff myself. If someone had big wads of dough laying around, then it might not be a bad investment.

citizensoldier

Has anybody here purchased a truck from them? What do they do to them? Do they rebuild the engine and go through everything? Or just like Armada said fix everything on the outside so it looks good only to sell a warn out junk pile?
I have looked at his site many times and thought he did good work. 6-8K for a truck thats all been gone through is a good deal in my book. Considereing a new one is atleast 30k with interest and you cant fix a damn thing on them!
I would love to have one...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard good news and bad news about Alfa's military vehicle stock. To his credit, they are really nice looking, and most of us wish our MVs looked that good. Suffice to say, he sells a lot, and if they weren't worth the $$$, he wouldn't be so pricey. Therefore, I'm tempted to think they are really well worth the money.

Think of it this way: See that $15,000 dually M1028 with 8,XXX miles on the meter? That's practically a new dually diesel truck! Priced a NEW 2007 Chevy 1-ton Silverado dually diesel on the dealer's lot? What is it? $40,000. Makes Alfa's prices seem a LOT more reasonable.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg308 said:
I've heard good news and bad news about Alfa's military vehicle stock. To his credit, they are really nice looking, and most of us wish our MVs looked that good. Suffice to say, he sells a lot, and if they weren't worth the $$$, he wouldn't be so pricey. Therefore, I'm tempted to think they are really well worth the money.

Think of it this way: See that $15,000 dually M1028 with 8,XXX miles on the meter? That's practically a new dually diesel truck! Priced a NEW 2007 Chevy 1-ton Silverado dually diesel on the dealer's lot? What is it? $40,000. Makes Alfa's prices seem a LOT more reasonable.
I'm not so sure about them being worth it because otherwise they would be cheaper part, but they are good looking trucks. With that said, he is selling the trucks, so they are worth it to some people. The red and white dually is really more correct with the exception of the paint, so it's worth more than the other IMHO, but I'd still have trouble giving $12K for it, especially since I considered buying it myself when it was auctioned and I sold the truck in my avatar for $9K. :roll:

They're 20+ year old trucks with no A/C and a 25 year old engine design. Not to mention 20 year old parts throughout. A cosmetic detailing job and some paint don't make the truck worth that much.The equivalent 2007 Chevy WT 3500 dually with a Duramax and Allison is $36,000 list. It's got air and a decent radio, too. It's probably 3 times the truck for a little over twice as much. That's really apples to oranges, though.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wondered that myself. I know the HMMWV's have updated control modules to "save" the plugs, but I am not familiar with anything like that for the CUCV. I thought too that with the AC60G plugs that overburn wasn't an issue.

citizensoldier

Hmmm ..Well for the extra 24k I could have one hell of a radio,AC for 3 houses, and replace everything on that 20 year old truck twice.. So thats worth thinking about too. Plus I could do it myself because it was the tail end of being able to fix them yourself. The new ones you can't. Wonder what a new silverado will be lookin like in 20 to 25 years? Oh thats right we trade them in in three.. Sorry for that. Then melt them down and make another temp truck. Not allot of bang for ones buck ahe? Computer chips get brittle with age and dont leave that CD out in the sun or its toast.
I prefer the 50 to 60 year trucks. More metal in the bumper than the front clip of a new Chevy.
Not trying to start a fight either. Just valid lessons I have learned.. I figured what I have spent on new trucks in the last 12 years and it was just under $76,000.00 dollars. This is not including high insurance on a financed vehicle and repairs and oil. I would have done much better driving a beater and putting it in my IRA! Retire earlier, pay off my house and then restore a 1940's Dodge WC with my interest payment every month.. Things that make you go Hmmmm.

cucv11

I like their trucks. He must pressure wash the sh@t out of them. All the trucks i have seen him sell have less then 60k on them. Not a bad price considering the work that was done to it. Just look on GL and compare prices. Some yo, yo's spend 3k for a beat up rusted out m1009 with a junk motor. Alfa repairs all defective parts, power washes the rust off, adds new floor mat and interior. The last one he had was for 6500 with about 65k miles on it and i would def say that is worth it. This vehicle has 30k on it supposedly. I wonder how he finds such low mileage trucks? Anyway i think its worth the money. Also cars are not investments. Unless you lock this thing up in a museum its just going to loose value.

IRWFO

Well I'll be able to give you a detailed write up on this truck. One of the members of my MV club just put a deposit on it. He is buying this one because he's so impressed with mine. The truck came back from Germany. I do remember one thing Tom the owner of Alfa told me. You can absolutely find cheaper trucks. Only will you have the time, space, & ability to get it looking as good one of his? For me the only solid M1009's I found for sale were around $4,500. I paid $6,500 for my Alfa truck. So thinking about it I paid $2,000 to have body work & fresh (correct CARC) paint. Nice detailed interior & engine compartment. Runs mint. Not to mention, everybody loves the truck. I get compliments almost every day.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I will say this: Alfa's stuff looks freakin' sweet!!!!! I mean, CUCV's and M880's really aren't my cup of tea, but looking at theirs actually makes me want one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, Mr Mopar! I find it hard to believe you wouldn't like a nice M880 in your morotpool. You should get one just to put one of them elephant motors in.

alphadeltaromeo

steelsoldiers said:
I wondered that myself. I know the HMMWV's have updated control modules to "save" the plugs, but I am not familiar with anything like that for the CUCV. I thought too that with the AC60G plugs that overburn wasn't an issue.
I chatted with Tom about the glow plug saver system a while back when I was reviewing one of his 1009s to potentially purchase. The fundamental is that it has the updated control module to do just what you've referred to. Tom mentioned that previous vehicles that he sold (days gone by) didn't have the new system and a few folk were burning out plugs. The system ensures the plugs don't get overburned.

From what I learned in chatting with Tom, he changes 99% of the front hoods (GI's love to step on them), cuts out all rust (if there is any), replaces any major dented panels (will mud, but sparingly), paints in and out...fixes or replaces upholstery and dye's if necessary, etc. The one that just sold had a leaky door rubber, causing rust in the floor panel. He cut it out and welded new metal in it. He told me 100% of what was done to it. He dropped the price 500 because of the rust and new metal welded and also 500 because the title that that one had (coming from DRMO) was mucked up. It said that one had no motor, etc...that wasn't accurate, so he took it down 500 for that reason. He was completely straight with me on the phone.

I believe, from what I could ascertain, that he was quite reputable indeed. I'd buy one from him without much question. Is it perfect, certainly not, but they are really good. I think they are worth 6500 or a little more.

My thoughts,

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, Mr Mopar! I find it hard to believe you wouldn't like a nice M880 in your morotpool. You should get one just to put one of them elephant motors in.Clinto, Mr Mopar! I find it hard to believe you wouldn't like a nice M880 in your morotpool. You should get one just to put one of them elephant motors in.
Several issues:

Biggest issue: They aren't crewcabs. Trucks hsould have four doors. If they'd made deuce crewcabs, that's what I would have bought.

Second issue, I'd have to swap it for a stick...............

Third, I'd either have to put a 440 or preferably a Cummins in it.

At that point, with that kind of money and time involved............there are other things i'd rather have.