• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Algae in the fuel tank

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what out of control Algae looks like, this is essentially tar, it’s in the tank, fuel lines, tank sock, pickup tubes, lift pump, filter, filter housing, fuel line, injection pump…solution was, everything listed was replaced.
The pump in this truck was essentially a brand new 6277, unfortunately it needed a new pump to run…a simple pulling of the fuel level transmitter is the easiest way to verify tank conditions.
The only way to clean anything is with brake cleaner…once done, and everything back to running condition, treat the fuel with a biocid.

17FCE678-EBDD-4CFD-A009-969A89D871B4.jpeg3A8225D4-1B1C-48D5-88BD-268B214B52C7.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you use some sort of bore snake/camera through the fill neck to check for this? And why doesn't the fuel filter protect the IP?
why not remove 5 screws and look into the tank? you get by far a better visual removing the sender, and your talking about algae in the fuel, it’s liquid, it’s in the fuel…like aglae in a pool, it has to be treat wherever the fuel was present.

Autonomy_Lost

why not remove 5 screws and look into the tank? you get by far a better visual removing the sender, and your talking about algae in the fuel, it’s liquid, it’s in the fuel…like aglae in a pool, it has to be treat wherever the fuel was present.
I guess I'm assuming that you would have to drop the tank for that, but I haven't looked to see where the sender is. Sounds like its easier than I assumed.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the Rear evaporator is made to be moved out of the way to access the fuel sender access plate….
The square box with the vents on it? I looked underneath for the lines and it didn’t look like it had very much slack in it. I need to replace that wood underneath it. I will have to get a better look at it. Thanks

Captaincarrier

This is what out of control Algae looks like, this is essentially tar, it’s in the tank, fuel lines, tank sock, pickup tubes, lift pump, filter, filter housing, fuel line, injection pump…solution was, everything listed was replaced.
The pump in this truck was essentially a brand new 6277, unfortunately it needed a new pump to run…a simple pulling of the fuel level transmitter is the easiest way to verify tank conditions.
The only way to clean anything is with brake cleaner…once done, and everything back to running condition, treat the fuel with a biocid.

View attachment 876434View attachment 876435
A very common issue with diesel fuel in a poly fuel tank.

The returned fuel can be near the operating temp of the engine and then when fuel level gets low the heated returned fuel heats the ullage area of the tank. Causes major condensation / water, which is the enemy of diesel fuel.

Poly tanks do not disipate the heat like aluminum or steel.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 876434View attachment 876435
Can't call it "algae" it displeases the new moderator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks