• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aligning the doors

319cssb

Has anyone got some advice on how to align the cab doors and possibly bending them , so they seal and have as little pressure as possible on the door locks? Thx

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be watching this intently. Mine have too much pressure down low and not enough up top. I monkeyed around with hinges and got it more dialed, but could still use a little tweak. Look forward to seeing more official remedies.

B-Dog

I've taken mine off/on a few times. I'd say it's much easier with 2 people, one to hold/move the door and one to tighten the bolts. a platform to stand on since the hinges are 6-8ft off the ground.
Bending them? The hinges? The latch on the door has some adjustment. If it takes too much pressure (slamming) to get the door to latch, try moving the latch on the door inward...?

Ckouba, all the holes have quite a bit of slop for adjusting. Can you move the lower hinge on the cab outward? In theory, that would rotate the door about the upper hinge and latch to put more pressure up top and less on the bottom.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the process I've gone through already, albeit by myself. May just need a second set of hands to be more effective.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FInally did mine a few weeks ago. Made a huge difference in improving the gap and sealing of the door in general. From what I saw the first step is to see if loosening all the bolts on the hinges and pushing the door up fixes things. Probably be easier with two people but I am taller and was able to get my shoulder under the door while pushing up and tightening. Made a difference but ultimately didn't do enough. Second attempt had me adding thick washers to the bottom hinge, loosening all the hinges again and pushing up while tightening. This time I needed to adjust my door pin to align with the latch. Also moved the pin inboard a bit to bring the door towards the cab. Took a bit but the door closes better and seals much better. Now when I open the door it pulls out the plastic plugs on the steering wheel column because of how well the cab is sealed. Now I have to fix that issue...

Blair

19Detail

Will be watching this intently. Mine have too much pressure down low and not enough up top. I monkeyed around with hinges and got it more dialed, but could still use a little tweak. Look forward to seeing more official remedies.
Same here. I adjusted the doors some time ago, but, like you, it helped but was not perfect. I just recently tried again, my issue being that the gap at the top of the door was more than I would have liked. I ended up putting a couple (one on each of the bolts) of thick-ish washers between the bottom hinge and the door. It was the only way I could see pushing the bottom of the door out and the top of the door in. It helped, but still left about a foot at the top where I could see daylight. I ended up putting very thin weather stripping on the door itself to fill the crack. Parts of it were a couple of layers thick. That seemed to help, but I would love to hear of a better way.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adjusting the bottom of the door and keeping it in a reasonable fit might not let the top close properly. You can bend the door window frames inward. Some of the doors just do not fit and there is a gap at the top. How I did it: Roll the window down to protect the glass, put a strap around the window frame either front or rear as needed, sit in the seat with feet against door (pushing outward), and pull in on the door top. Short jerks worked best. You will feel when the door reaches 'yield' point so do this gradually. It does not take much to close the gap.

319cssb

Adjusting the bottom of the door and keeping it in a reasonable fit might not let the top close properly. You can bend the door window frames inward. Some of the doors just do not fit and there is a gap at the top. How I did it: Roll the window down to protect the glass, put a strap around the window frame either front or rear as needed, sit in the seat with feet against door (pushing outward), and pull in on the door top. Short jerks worked best. You will feel when the door reaches 'yield' point so do this gradually. It does not take much to close the gap.
I have done the way you described before. With a strap and by pushing out on the door. My door has a gap along the top, just like yours did.
I was hoping to maybe read of a better way to do that procedure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks