• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

all lights but marker lights

jdchristianiii

Marker lights wont work. Turn/stop lights all work great. Has hmmv front turn/markers and old style rear lights. Also, having to download the TMs to try to find wiring diagrams is crazy. Im a diesel mechanic with over 15 years under my belt. But the TMs are written for draftees it seems and having to read through all that is mind numbing to find a specific thing. Went through this with the brakes.

Last edited:

jdchristianiii

Is there a place to actually order the paper manuals for my 1968 kaiser m35a2? As far as wiring and multifuel diesel trucks go?

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually use the ones on here in the TM section or the Jatonka website and then print whatever I need.

jdchristianiii

I usually use the ones on here in the TM section or the Jatonka website and then print whatever I need.
I have tried to. But i dont own a computer or a printer so i have to download them to my phone and then peruse them on a phone screen. Its a PITA

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marker lights wont work.
If you are referring to the running/parking lights not working when the main switch is in the " Service Drive" position, that's just how it comes wired from factory. It's either headlights OR running lights.
This post shows what to do to have them working simultaneously.

Of course the same also applies for additional markers, if that's your case(?)
Here is a thread about that subject. And the very first post has a link to the complete wiring schematic.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Marker lights wont work. Turn/stop lights all work great. Has hmmv front turn/markers and old style rear lights. Also, having to download the TMs to try to find wiring diagrams is crazy. Im a diesel mechanic with over 15 years under my belt. But the TMs are written for draftees it seems and having to read through all that is mind numbing to find a specific thing. Went through this with the brakes.
I mumbled, I grumbled, I said "not nice" words too when those yellow lights "wouldn't work" on my truck... When I discovered it (by accident) I was happier than no parking lights at all! gringeltaube has the link just above that allows you to have both.

:cool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And...and, you might be able to download TM 9-2320-361-20. There is a wiring schematic in the appendix. I can bring those up on my phone and print from there.

jdchristianiii

Im sorry to keep bothering y'all. When i said marker lights that meant front "parking lights" and "tail lights" as one lighting type. As I've been going over all the info and links provided to my thread, im not sure if the front parking lights work independently of the tail lights. Ive read conflicting things. And it doesnt help that its cold and wet here in SWVA. Enough that i cant just break out my meter and start figuring it out. My tail/stop lights are the old style and only have 3 wires. The fronts are the hmmv style but still only have 3 wires.

TheQuaker

@jdchristianiii

Unless someone has messed with the wiring prior to you, here is how U.S. military light switches work "from the factory":

1611625006148.png

As you can see...as previously stated above...you get front parking lights OR headlights. That is, unless you either splice, rewire or (as I have done with both of my trucks) use some military "Y" splitters, connectors and wire to avoid hacking into your wiring and get parking lights lit with headlights.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front "Parking" lights only light when the lower left light switch lever is in the down position. There is a nice explanation of what works on the 3 lever light switch respective positions, in the operators TM available in the TM section. You can peruse that from the dry warmth of your home. If you just want to see them lit, put the headlights (top lever) in service drive and move the lower left lever all the way down. They should work there if all is OK.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Im sorry to keep bothering y'all. When i said marker lights that meant front "parking lights" and "tail lights" as one lighting type. As I've been going over all the info and links provided to my thread, im not sure if the front parking lights work independently of the tail lights. Ive read conflicting things. And it doesnt help that its cold and wet here in SWVA. Enough that i cant just break out my meter and start figuring it out. My tail/stop lights are the old style and only have 3 wires. The fronts are the hmmv style but still only have 3 wires.
Some folks call the "parking lights" (also called "lollipop" lights).
The lollipop lights do not turn on if the headlights are on. There is a fix for that in Post #8

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I re wired my trucks to have side and tail, Headlights and tail. (with stoplights and turn signals). Front blackout and blackout drive headlight. with blackout rear lights.
Functional and good for teaching the cadets Wartime 'night driving'.