• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland

HDN

I'm sorry to hear about this happening in MD. I'm going to keep an eye out for any MVPA bulletin that involves signing a petition or another means of support. Didn't they send something out like that for another state a few months ago?

Lazboytt

I drafted a letter here in Michigan for signing a petition. I sent it to the MVPA and had them send it out to everyone which they did. I just recently sent them another e mail requesting action for Michigan but have not seen any response or anything sent out at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HDN

CUCVGirl

I
May I suggest that a new organization that represents the legal needs of MV owners needs to be formed. Under the guises of providing information to the general public and legislator about these vehicles. A lobbyist MV hobbiest would be great!
I’m new here, but love my CUCVs. I just got into this hobby and a bit obsessed. It’s both being a veteran and a prepper...my point is that I am also an attorney licensed in 3 states, and have prior legislative staffing background (worked for a senator) if there is a national group that wants to form to protect the rights to drive these vehicles count me in

Lazboytt

I

I’m new here, but love my CUCVs. I just got into this hobby and a bit obsessed. It’s both being a veteran and a prepper...my point is that I am also an attorney licensed in 3 states, and have prior legislative staffing background (worked for a senator) if there is a national group that wants to form to protect the rights to drive these vehicles count me in
Hello,
Are you licensed in Michigan?

CUCVGirl

No.
Hello,
Are you licensed in Michigan?

Arizona,California and Colorado. But lobbying doesn’t often require being licensed.
If so, Arizona has reciprocity in 28 states and I think that Michigan is one of them. (Not that I want to add another state to my annual dues expenses but if there was a way to organize I have options). 😋

Lazboytt

No.

Arizona,California and Colorado. But lobbying doesn’t often require being licensed.
If so, Arizona has reciprocity in 28 states and I think that Michigan is one of them. (Not that I want to add another state to my annual dues expenses but if there was a way to organize I have options).
Hello
Do you have an e mail address to be contacted that you would be willing to share?

TMOMW

May I suggest that a new organization that represents the legal needs of MV owners needs to be formed. Under the guises of providing information to the general public and legislator about these vehicles. A lobbyist MV hobbiest would be great!
we have a new group to do this on fb assn of military vehicle owners... active in many states

sue

I know I

need to get on joining this too. I just joined here a week ago :)
Someone stated that Michigan “flat out bannedMVs”
we have trailered? our hmmwv up to northern Michigan ( about 2018?) and its tagged in our home
state. If did that again I would like to see how law enforcement would handle a vehicle that is legally
licensed in another’s state? Reciprocal agreement?

Lazboytt

Hello if u you are registered in another state you should be fine. Most issues are with the Hmmwv but they registered them pre mid 2016 so we have some registered. Others are having issues as well when trying to register new in Michigan not just the Hmmwv.

TMOMW

just sent.... as a rep of the AMVO I also called them today
sir in your state a official at your state vehicle lice agency just declared all former military vehicles (MVs) banned from your roads.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/ASED/ASED Bulletins/Bulletin ASED-009 Military Vehicle Inspection.pdf

this is 100% untrue, and lacks understanding on how the vehicles are set up..

please look at MIL-STB-1180b, para 5.4 (attached)

and the WI state supreme court ruling (attached)

attached is also a letter from the NHTSA about the FMVSS vs the MIL-STD-1180b

in addition the vehicles in question are considered open / convertible / walk in that are exempt from much of the FMVSS.

this will have a impact on your state such as fire departments currently using former MVs, 1033 program vehicles for law enforcement, other first responders, collectors, your state surplus property agency, people not being able to support parades.

please get back with me so I can supply you with more information and possibly sponsor a bill to correct this. (as we are doing in KS and MI currently)

thank you

dave demorrow

combat vet / military vehicle museum director

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
feel free to copy and send

Lazboytt

The link is Maryland but they were asking about Michigan. This should fall under reciprocity’s plus there are some already registered.

I assume you we’re replying to my previous post.

Ajax MD

just sent.... as a rep of the AMVO I also called them today
sir in your state a official at your state vehicle lice agency just declared all former military vehicles (MVs) banned from your roads.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/ASED/ASED Bulletins/Bulletin ASED-009 Military Vehicle Inspection.pdf

this is 100% untrue, and lacks understanding on how the vehicles are set up..

please look at MIL-STB-1180b, para 5.4 (attached)

and the WI state supreme court ruling (attached)

attached is also a letter from the NHTSA about the FMVSS vs the MIL-STD-1180b

in addition the vehicles in question are considered open / convertible / walk in that are exempt from much of the FMVSS.

this will have a impact on your state such as fire departments currently using former MVs, 1033 program vehicles for law enforcement, other first responders, collectors, your state surplus property agency, people not being able to support parades.

please get back with me so I can supply you with more information and possibly sponsor a bill to correct this. (as we are doing in KS and MI currently)

thank you

dave demorrow

combat vet / military vehicle museum director

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
feel free to copy and send

Email sent.

F18hornetM

Just to clarify,
Actually the letter to the inspection stations [Md] is referring to MVs that need inspecting. Any vehicle [truck] over 10,000lbs that is over 25 years old can be tagged as historic. For parades and show use only. They do not require inspection. As far as meeting emissions, no 1960 F100 [or any old hot rods]will meet modern emissions and is not required to pass inspection or emissions testing as its tagged historic or antique depending on the year.
I seriously doubt if fire departments or police departments will have any issue with tagging. They will have an exemption i bet.
On the other hand if you plan on using a M931 as tractor, for commercial purposes.. You will have an issue as it needs inspected

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Just to clarify,
Actually the letter to the inspection stations [Md] is referring to MVs that need inspecting. Any vehicle [truck] over 10,000lbs that is over 25 years old can be tagged as historic. For parades and show use only. They do not require inspection. As far as meeting emissions, no 1960 F100 [or any old hot rods]will meet modern emissions and is not required to pass inspection or emissions testing as its tagged historic or antique depending on the year.
I seriously doubt if fire departments or police departments will have any issue with tagging. They will have an exemption i bet.
On the other hand if you plan on using a M931 as tractor, for commercial purposes.. You will have an issue as it needs inspected
A clarification- According to Appendix C, FMV owners should not be subject to diesel emissions testing at all, if pursuing general use tags and you can pass the safety inspection. Historic, Farm/Ag, Over 26k GVWR and "powered solely by diesel" seems to cover every aspect of FMV ownership. I've highlighted the relevant exemptions. Heck, if you own an M715 or M996 ambulance, you could claim the "ambulance exemption."

APPENDIX C
VEIP Exempt Vehicles​

The following are VEIP Exempt Vehicles:

• 1995 or older under 8500 Gross Vehicle Weight​
  • Vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
  • Vehicles powered solely by diesel or electric
  • Motorcycle
  • Vehicles registered as a farm truck, farm truck tractor or farm area vehicle
  • Historic or Antique vehicles
  • New vehicles and qualified hybrids for the first 36 months after titling and registration
  • Fire apparatus owned or leased by the State of Maryland, a county, municipality, volunteer fire department or rescue squad
  • Ambulances currently exempted will remain exempt
  • Vehicles registered to senior citizens over 70 or vehicles registered with hard metal disable tags and who drive 5,000 miles per year or less (if co-owned, both owners must qualify for the waiver) can apply for a waiver for the balance of the two year cycle. Mileage must be recertified every two years to continue to received the waiver
  • Vehicles registered as a Class N street rod vehicle
  • A military vehicle owned by the federal government and used for tactical, combat, or relief operations, or for training for these operations
  • Vehicles registered as a Class H school vehicle or Class P passenger bus
In our arguements, we need to stop referencing police, fire and EMS exemptions because that just prompts a "Rules for thee, but not for me" response from the state government. The gov't will do what it wants and if that means exempting emissions on heavy vehicles, allowing police to drive heavy armor, they'll do it and give the rest of us the middle finger. This is purely state agency overreach. Prohibiting by "policy" with no legislation to back it up.

A better choice is to use businesses as an example. Mission BBQ is my favorite example: They are driving later model M35A3 trucks for COMMERCIAL purposes. That means that they are GETTING INSPECTED SOMEWHERE and obtaining general use tags. They are NOT driving around on limited use Historic tags. They are not driving around on Ag tags.

Ergo, if it's legal for businesses, it's legal for individual owners to pursue safety inspections for the purpose of obtaining general use tags if we wish or if our vehicles do not meet the age requirement for Historic tags.

@TMOMW has the specific dirt on how FMV's comply with the FMVSS and he is in the process of de-bunking MSP bulletin ASED-009. He has also located Maryland politicians that are sympathetic.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone stated that Michigan “flat out bannedMVs”
we have trailered? our hmmwv up to northern Michigan ( about 2018?) and its tagged in our home
state. If did that again I would like to see how law enforcement would handle a vehicle that is legally
licensed in another’s state? Reciprocal agreement?
The only thing that cannot be registered in michigan is HMMWV's laztbot and his coherts are spreading mis-information on michigan.

Lazboytt

That is not true porkies place there are other am generals that are running into the same problem regardless of your beliefs . we have spoken directly to individuals that have the problems and they are not hmmwv’s
Do you want to talk about spreading misinformation?you should know your facts before attempting to contribute to the cause and also trying to perform deformation of character as well.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not true porkies place there are other am generals that are running into the same problem regardless of your beliefs . we have spoken directly to individuals that have the problems and they are not hmmwv’s
Do you want to talk about spreading misinformation?you should know your facts before attempting to contribute to the cause and also trying to perform deformation of character as well.

There are no issues registering AMGeneral M35A2's in michigan , I just registered one 3 weeks ago it took all of 5 minutes at the SOS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks